1960s singles frames explained...

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
blaat!
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1960s singles frames explained...

Post by blaat! »

Hi All,
Can anyone give a brief overview of the 1960s single cylinder frames?

I have read that there is little difference between the frame geometry and therefore the handling of most models. I find it hard to believe that a scrambler frame is nearly the same as a Mark 1.

Any additional info on things related such as wheel diameters, suspension, etc. would be appreciated.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a cafe restoration project and I plan to make it more custom than stock. If the frame geometry is similar on most models then I can buy whatever is least expensive. Handling on the street is an important factor for me.

Thanks!
Rick
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rick »

Within a 'family' of frames, they're all pretty much the same- so, the narrowcase 250 frames are about the same except for welded tabs to attach toolboxes, rearsets, etc. The widecase frames are similar with the exception of the 450R/T frame, and the stiffening ribs welded onto some of the frames and swingarms- the very early wc frames were flexible around the swingarm axle and a tube was added.
Without knowing the engine you plan to use it's hard to give much of an answer, but, a nc Monza frame is relatively easy to convert to a Mach1 spec if you have some welding/fabrication skills- the scrambler has an added hoop at the rear shock mounts.
It's definitely easier to turn a Monza frame into a Mach/Mark frame than it is to find the toolboxes, tank, seat , fenders,SSI carb, tach, etc.
You should buy Tom Bailey's book on single restoration- it will explain the frames and much more.
blaat!
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by blaat! »

Thanks, Just what I was looking for. Although I already bought a basket case Mach 1 at this point so maybe this will help me with my next project bike... a Scrambler turned into a custom flat-tracker :-D
1995 Ducati 900 SS/CR
1966 Ducati Mach 1

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”