MHR shock rebuild?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
FastFred
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

MHR shock rebuild?

Post by FastFred »

Hi
Just bought an early MHR (one of first 500). I had a Hailwood 23 years ago at University and had a little red book (can't remmber author) on tuning the Dellorto's that recommended buying Fontana shocks. I bought a pair with red springs. The bike handled really well but the shocks were still very hard. The 'new' bike has original Marzocchi and Fontana shocks. Which would you rebuild?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: MHR shock rebuild?

Post by Craig in France »

FastFred wrote:Hi
Just bought an early MHR (one of first 500). I had a Hailwood 23 years ago at University and had a little red book (can't remmber author) on tuning the Dellorto's that recommended buying Fontana shocks. I bought a pair with red springs. The bike handled really well but the shocks were still very hard. The 'new' bike has original Marzocchi and Fontana shocks. Which would you rebuild?
Hi Fred,

That 'Little Red Book ' would most probably be Steve Eke's, "Ducati Tuning". Still turns up ocasionally ...

As to the shocks: well, the Marzocchis weren't that great even then. But if you want to keep the original look, you'll have to use them. Otherwise, if you can get seals for the Fontanas, I'd probably do them.

Or just buy a decent set of new shocks ... :-D

Ciao

Craig
FastFred
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by FastFred »

Thanks Steve, yes that's the book. Where did the last twenty years go...?

Any ideas where I can contact Fontana, couldn't find much on Google.

Thanks anyway.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

FastFred wrote: Any ideas where I can contact Fontana, couldn't find much on Google.
Me neither :( - sorry, don't know.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”