left side shifting conversion?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
kmatts1959
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

left side shifting conversion?

Post by kmatts1959 »

Has anyone converted their bike to a left foot shift?
I've only heard of this, I've never actually seen it done.

Cheers,
Kyle.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I've converted my 77 900SS to righthand shift and it was easy to do using the euro parts and a tiny bit of welding.I also have converted my 91 900SS and 86F1 using a cross linkage through the swing arm pivot and a bunch of heim joints but they both have rearsets.I assume you are talking about a 750GT?. It could probably be done but I think the results would be kinda ugly.The righthand shift has an advantage in that it keeps people from asking to ride you bike and is sort of a passive anti theft device.I've got left and right shift bikes and it doesn't take more than a few shifts to get used to,it makes you pay attention to what you are doing and if you get into a panic situation just grab,push everything.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I've got left and right shift bikes and it doesn't take more than a few shifts to get used to,it makes you pay attention to what you are doing and if you get into a panic situation just grab,push everything.
I didn't realise that you were watching me last week when I wasn't paying attention, Bill. I skidded the back wheel on the Sport as I revved away from some traffic lights and changed down! Even with a cool bike, it's very hard to look cool when you do that.

What a goose! :oops:

Kev
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Kev, Done that a few times myself.The reason I converted the 900s,[bevel and belt] was because I started riding and then racing on a Norton and I'd gotten so used to righthand shift that it was automatic and I didn't have to think about shifting.On the street I can use left shift just fine but racing I need to concentrate on more pressing matters and the old ways prevail.In the past couple of years the first few laps on the track I've found myself barreling into a turn and having to think,Up? Down? Left? Right? Why am I in the dirt? I usually need to just stop thinking and it all straightens out.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”