rear sets question.

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
kmatts1959
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

rear sets question.

Post by kmatts1959 »

Can someone recommend a quality rear set for narrowcase singles?
Or has anyone made a custom set, such as these?
http://www.docc.ca/singles/chassis.htm

I'm wondering if all rear sets require modification to the frame, i.e. welding on a threaded boss.

Thanks in advance for the information & advice!
Cheers from rainy Seattle.
Kyle.
Jon Pegler
Mariana

Post by Jon Pegler »

I've made rear sets for both narrow and wide case singles in the past.
Sometimes the rear footpeg mounting can be used on the narrowcase frame, depending in whereabouts the rider wants his (or her) foot to be. Alternatively, I've turned up a boss to match the rear footrest mounting and welded that to the frame in a more suitable place.
Also needed is a bracket behind the left hand footpeg mounting to act as both a brake lever stop (stops the lever coming up too high) and as a means of securing the outer part of the rear brake cable. This bracket has to be secured to the frame by welding as well as clearing the brake pedal pivot.
The left hand footpeg also needs to be able to fold up to clear the kickstart lever. This can be quite a tight clearance.
If you want to make the machine more in line with a modern bike, you could always change over to a left foot gearchange with a crossover shaft through the swinging arm tube, but maybe that's a bit more than you had planned.
There are rearsets available, but they are expensive and not always very nice to look at. Personally, I think the Tarozzi ones look terribly clumsy.
kmatts1959
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kmatts1959 »

very interesting...I'll PM you Jon!

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”