GTS Help needed.

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

GTS Help needed.

Post by bobnorton »

My recently aquired 76 gts came with ,no headlight or brackets, bodged exhaust, clip ons,cut and shortened footreasts and brake lever,I'm trying to put it back into touring trim as I'm too old for much else.I would also like to change it to rhs gearchange to match my other bikes,what does this involve?? I've found a 210 Bosch headlamp and some Magura euro type bars,a nice black and gold paintjob and a latterday Vincent may emerge!Suggestion on h/l brackets for this big lamp?
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

i changed my gts to rh gear and it was not that difficult. i removed all the cross over shafts cut the end off it and welded it to the blanked off piece in the sprocket cover,turned it down on a lathe,i used the same gear lever and cut and bent it into a dog leg . i used a 750 gt brake lever and foot peg bolt which the lever sits on and welded a bracket on the frame for the rear brake cable,it was twenty years ago and everything was still available then so if you can get the bits it should be fairly straight forward,or i think someone was making some rear set kits that could be modified???
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Thanks Gavin, Did the Gt brake lever clear the case? or did you have to dog leg it too? Gt levers are not cheap !.
gavin
Mariana

Post by gavin »

age must be catching up with me as i can`t remember whether i had to bend it or not. i know i had 2 levers(wish i`d kept the spare with the ridiculous prices parts are now). i`ll see if i can find a photo of the old girl..i definitely know it wasn`t dog legged or anything as wild as that,slight bend out if anything

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”