Restoration Advice

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Windyducat
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Restoration Advice

Post by Windyducat »

I have a early stage 1973 Ducati 750 GT with 5,xxx miles. The bike is untouched except for a replacement tank from Air Tech. First by untouched, I mean for other than maintenance nothing has been taken apart or removed. Still has the original tires, chain, etc.

I am looking for some advice and appears I am on the perfect board. The bike runs fine and is in perfect mechanical condition. However time has taken its toll on the cosmetics. My first inclination "tear into it" and replace or refurbish everything that is corroded, cracked or worn. Things like, nuts and bolts, cracked decals, cracked fork boots, etc. They do not need to be replaced but have aged.

That gets me to my question. From a collectors point of view, am I better off simply polishing and shining and leaving it alone/"untouched" or restoring the corroded and worn parts.

Thanks! I look forward to opinions from some experts.
Windy
73 Ducati 750 GT
76 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
76 BMW R90/6
01 Ducati ST4
04 BMW R1200RS
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Restoration Advice

Post by Craig in France »

Windyducat wrote:<snip> From a collectors point of view ...
Ah, can't help you there, I'm afraid. I've never really understood collectors. For me, a bike (or any other machine for that matter) was made to be used, and should therefore be kept in good working condition with sensible modifications to improve useability and relaibility.

So, for example, if you go out on the original tires, I'd say you were crazy. But by all means keep the cracked decals and a few rusty bolts :)

I'll leave it for others to chip in ...

Ciao

Craig
Windyducat
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Windyducat »

Craig, thanks and you make a good point...

I do plan on riding it. Needs new tires, replace the bars with clip ons, etc....I want to avoid making changes that devalues it, yet at the same time keep in sharp looking and ride able.

Any advice is welcome. Like cutting wood....measure twice, cut once. Or as they say...you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Cal
Windy
73 Ducati 750 GT
76 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
76 BMW R90/6
01 Ducati ST4
04 BMW R1200RS
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

ride it

Post by Lumpy »

I`m with Craig on that one. The collector thing is all well and fine and as she stands she`d probably attract top dollar. But if your into riding and enjoying her I see no point in risking being left on the side of the road with a component that time has proven is prone to failure.
The only thing nicer than the look of a bevel in your lounge or collection is the feel of her out on the road. Why deprive the world of an engineering artform.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

You don't say where you are but if you are in the states you will need to coat the inside of the tank with an ethanol resistant coating.the fuel will melt your tank and cause any number of headaches.If you do plan to ride it much a Dyna ign. will ensure reliable sparks.Keep it a GT too, the things aren't fast and are much more pleasant to ride without the stretch.Plus EVERYBODY tries to make them look like a Sport or SS and most don't succeed without spending lots of money.If you still have the Scarab brakes you will probably want to replace the caliper with the Lockheed unit so you will have reliable stopping power.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

wdietz186 wrote:<snip> Keep it a GT too, the things aren't fast and are much more pleasant to ride without the stretch.Plus EVERYBODY tries to make them look like a Sport or SS and most don't succeed without spending lots of money.
+1 Image.

Craig
Windyducat
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Windyducat »

Thanks for the advice...I am taking it all in.

Definitely will add the dyna iginition.

I see Caswell has a fiberglass tank sealant. Does anyone have one they prefer?

Debating on keeping the scarabs or go with Lockheeds. Do not see them in the product catalog here or on the Road and Race site. Anyone know where I can source them.

Again, thanks! Cal
Windy
73 Ducati 750 GT
76 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
76 BMW R90/6
01 Ducati ST4
04 BMW R1200RS
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

I'm with everyone else here. Don't do the clip ons. Don't restore it just to make it look shiny. Fix what needs to be fixed, clean up what's dirty, and ride it.

That said, you haven't given much indication on just how bad the cosmetics are. There was an editorial in a recent Road and Track magazine that talked about restorations and leaving things as is. The writer pointed out that as much as he liked to see a well preserved machine, he didn't see the honor in presenting a beat up/abused version. I haven't got the article here to refer to but it was something along the lines of why honor the fact some previous owner didn't respect the car enough to take care of it. I like that line of thinking.

So yeah, if it's at all presentable I'd try to preserve it. But if it really looks like it was run hard and put away wet then I'd be more apt to do a start doing the cosmetics.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

Windyducat wrote:Thanks for the advice...I am taking it all in.

Definitely will add the dyna iginition.

I see Caswell has a fiberglass tank sealant. Does anyone have one they prefer?

Debating on keeping the scarabs or go with Lockheeds. Do not see them in the product catalog here or on the Road and Race site. Anyone know where I can source them.

Again, thanks! Cal
hello-these Brembos look the part
http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=38
so much time--so little to say
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The Caswell stuff is highly regarded on the Britbike forum I visit occasionally. Haven't heard anything bad about it.The dangerous part is all the home plating kits on the website, it is very tempting and sounds sooo easy.
Windyducat
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Windyducat »

Appears Caswell has great stuff for buffing and polishing and plating. After seeing this http://www.medial.com/suzuki/zinc-plated/ I am going to use their zinc kit to replate all the nuts, bolts, etc on my 750 gt.
Windy
73 Ducati 750 GT
76 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
76 BMW R90/6
01 Ducati ST4
04 BMW R1200RS

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”