900ss Frame What Year ?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
DTM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

900ss Frame What Year ?

Post by DTM »

Hi all .. I bought a couple of parts from greedy bay which were meant to be for a Pantah .. Turned out not to be when I collected them .. however the guy also had what he thought to be a frame from the same bike which if I wanted I could go back for.
Just got back and the frame is from a bevel 900ss .. As with the other parts its covered in a very thick layer of paint so I can't yet uncover the frame number. Are there any distinguishing features that separate the years ?
Looks as though in its past it was prepared for racing .. its got a few extra braces and has had some parts drilled including the shock mounts .. All the Best.
Trying to find the will to finish a restoration started a while back (900ss)
DTM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 900ss Frame What Year ?

Post by DTM »

DTM wrote:Hi all .. I bought a couple of parts from greedy bay which were meant to be for a Pantah .. Turned out not to be when I collected them .. however the guy also had what he thought to be a frame from the same bike which if I wanted I could go back for.
Just got back and the frame is from a bevel 900ss .. As with the other parts its covered in a very thick layer of paint so I can't yet uncover the frame number. Are there any distinguishing features that separate the years ?
Looks as though in its past it was prepared for racing .. its got a few extra braces and has had some parts drilled including the shock mounts .. All the Best.
. Have now engaged brain a bit .. The colour of the frame inside the headstock is red as are parts of the swinging arm so i guess it could be probably from a MHR ..one other obvious thing which looks unaltered is that the battery tray is ss size as opposed to a darmah electric start size .. Were any MHR's kick start only ?..Thoughts welcomed ..
Trying to find the will to finish a restoration started a while back (900ss)
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

If I were you , get to it and remove the paint from the frame so you can see the numbers only then can you be sure what you have
Battery tray size was smaller on MHR, SS etc

Show us a picture
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

First MHR's were kick-start indeed.
Later versions were electric start, and those frame's are much weaker, half round tubes in smaller diameter, resulting in unpredictable roadholding in fast corners etc.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”