Chain Lenght

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Chain Lenght

Post by Gum »

I have on my 73 Sport a 15 and 38 tooth sprockets. Now I would normally fit the engine then the new chain, but if someone can tell me for sure the exact length I need for a 520 Oring chain I will cut it and do it while I assemble the Frame. As it will be a lot easier now as I rivet the chain while its off the bike, then fit the swingarm. The book says 102 links, but is it different with a Metric Chain. Thanks Gum
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

My book gives the sprocket sizes for a 750 Sport as 16/36 so you might want to double-check the number of links required. Some models did come with a 15/38 combination. As far as the length of the chain, there is no difference in link length between a 'metric' and standard chain. If there was, you would also have to replace your sprockets. The difference will be in the width of an o-ring chain versus a standard one.

I prefer good quality standard chain.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

nice thought but I would definately NOT recommend doing as you propose, you are just asking for troubles. Go ahead and get the engine and back wheel installed, THEN install the chain. Riveting the master link is no big deal on the bike, assuming you are using the correct tool to do so.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Tool

Post by Gum »

Thanks for that, I don't have a tool, that's why I do it on the bench. I do agree that im asking for trouble, that is why I thought I would ask to see if someone is 100% sure. [ NO TAKERS ] Thanks Gum.
Den
Mach 3

Re: Chain Lenght

Post by Den »

Gum wrote:I have on my 73 Sport a 15 and 38 tooth sprockets. Now I would normally fit the engine then the new chain, but if someone can tell me for sure the exact length I need for a 520 Oring chain.....
............It is my understanding that the correct chain size is 530.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I concur - 530 is correct. However some folks like to install 520 kits on their bevels. I stock 520 front sprockets I had made for bevels.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”