Rebuilding marzocchi Shock

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Rebuilding marzocchi Shock

Post by andy »

Like other bevel owners I am after originality so the old marzoccchi shocks will need a recon. They have been shelved for the last 25 years. The preload adjuster ring is cracked and the eyelet rubbers are shot. I have been reading the marzoccchi posts which have been a good help but some more info. would be good.
Does anyone know what oil, how much and is there anything to look out for when refilling. Shock are for a 75 900ss.

Thanks Andy.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi Andy

I'm undergoing the same fate as you at the moment , this is what I was told by a shock repair place
Wash and clean shock
Fill the shock inner piston tube full
Empty this into the main shock body and add one 3rd more of the piston tube and pour this into the main body as well , job done
I was told 3 or 5w oil

good luck
Cheers Marty
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:Hi Andy

I'm undergoing the same fate as you at the moment , this is what I was told by a shock repair place
Wash and clean shock
Fill the shock inner piston tube full
Empty this into the main shock body and add one 3rd more of the piston tube and pour this into the main body as well , job done
I was told 3 or 5w oil

good luck
Cheers Marty
Thanks Marty that doesn't sound to hard.I have located two new original preload adjuster and may be the eyelet rubbers bevel rubber have the rebuild kits just have to wait for the postman.
cheers.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Andy
Your duc being a 75 ss I doubt that Damion would have the correct kit as he sell's mainly the Strata kit and the shaft size on them is 12mm , I would say yours is either 9 or 10mm shaft , my 76 is 9mm with crimped nut

Had a look at the kit he sell, 10mm shaft is fine but I doubt that the rest of the kit would be of any use to you, as your shocks shouldn't have the piggyback reservoir and your nut should be the crimped style nut

Anyone got a lead where one can get the mounting bushes from ?
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:Andy
Your duc being a 75 ss I doubt that Damion would have the correct kit as he sell's mainly the Strata kit and the shaft size on them is 12mm , I would say yours is either 9 or 10mm shaft , my 76 is 9mm with crimped nut

Had a look at the kit he sell, 10mm shaft is fine but I doubt that the rest of the kit would be of any use to you, as your shocks shouldn't have the piggyback reservoir and your nut should be the crimped style nut

Anyone got a lead where one can get the mounting bushes from ?
Ok. Martin this is not the rebuild kit do you know if you can get kits. Andy
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Next week I will get my seal nuts back from being modified , mine had the crimped nuts, these have now been modded so that they will look as close as original as possible with the crimps
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

Should be 50mls of 5 weight oil. The kits that Bevel Rubber has are for 10mm shocks with the normal type nut on the reservoir although they can machine the crimped type for you as well. I just ended up giving my shocks to them, they installed some eyelet rubbers too.
Dave
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

BevelDave wrote:Should be 50mls of 5 weight oil. The kits that Bevel Rubber has are for 10mm shocks with the normal type nut on the reservoir although they can machine the crimped type for you as well. I just ended up giving my shocks to them, they installed some eyelet rubbers too.
Dave
Thanks for clarifying that dave.
Cheers Andy.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Should be 50mls of 5 weight oil.
I have the original Marzoc service manual for the A73 and Euro 74 shocks. SAE 5 wt is correct at operation of 50 degrees C ( this is operational oil temp, not ambient air temp) - so if you're in hotter temps, you might like to use higher viscosity. The recommended volume varies depending on bottom of eye to top of alloy body length, and for Euro 74 vs A73, but as a guide, the shortest length as described above at 164mm is 68cc and the longest at 198mm is 77cc.

Kev
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:Next week I will get my seal nuts back from being modified , mine had the crimped nuts, these have now been modded so that they will look as close as original as possible with the crimps
I have stripped my shocks down.They have the 10mm sharft and the seal nuts are not crimped.Lucky me.
Andy.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

shocks

Post by stuart »

are these hard to rebuild cos i need to refurbish mine .
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Piece of cake , just take your time removing the seal nut and make sure you get a real good hold of it as its very easily to round the alloy nut.
Here is a lay out of whats in them , the slider tube are still in the bodies apart from that everything is there

andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: shocks

Post by andy »

stuart wrote:are these hard to rebuild cos i need to refurbish mine .
HI stuart.Just like Martin has said not hard at all but I did find that the seal nut was not going to move being Aluminum and never been removed before so with a small amount of heat and you don't need much it came off with no effort.I am still waiting on a part to finish them and will let you know how I get on.
Andy
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
stuart
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by stuart »

thanks for the replies not going to do the shocks till the winter
just bought a pair of hagon shocks and after pushing the bike around some of the fast A roads around here .and found them more than able.
for the job
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

marzocchi rear shocker rebuild

Post by andy »

After stripping down the shocks I found the shafts pitted
sent them down to be hard chromed and ground.
I have now found a suitable eyelet rubbers so all I need to do is put them back together. (crappy phone camera photo's)
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”