Are these Green frame Shocks ???

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.

Do you think these are 750 Green Frame shocks ?

YES
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes: 5

MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Are these Green frame Shocks ???

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I came by these a little while ago when I was looking for some Marzocchi shocks for my 76ss , when I got them I noticed the rubber boot at the top and straight away thought I had some 75's but this was not to be as the adjuster lug location was in the wrong place and the shock body was to short. The total length of the shock is 320mm and 305mm center eye to eye

I have only given them a polish and a good clean up can someone tell me what you think these might be off?

The seals are not leaking , the seal nut has never been off as there are were no witness marks at all to be seen and the shafts are straight no pitting or rust on them and the springs have original paint

When compared, the pictures in the in Falloon's the black book. "The restoration's guide 1972 / 1986 "
on page 53 the Green frame you can see the top rubber boot , polished main body , rough painted springs and take a good look at the position of the adjuster lug note its sits quite low,
go to page 64 here is the 75 SS , same top rubber boot, springs but the adjuster lugs is higher ,
now go to page 71 here is the 76/77 SS no more top rubber boot , 5 way adjustment, better paint on the springs silver painted body and a Marzocchi sticker that is different to the fork sticker
The 750 sport had no top rubber boot and the 750GT had the bell covering the top of the spring

ImageImage

Here you can see the difference between the shock v 75/76/76 only difference between the 75 and 76/77 body is the paint and sticker
notice the extra body length and adjuster lug location is much lower to that of the supposed Green Frame shock if this is what it is indeed !!!

ImageImage
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Check out the photo on page 101 of Ducati 750 Bible. Your shocks appear to be for the greenframe, or, 750 Sport with rubber caps. Their lengths and dimensions certainly match the photos. Either way, thanks for pointing out the difference between the 74 and 75 shocks; it's always nice to learn something new.
Are you talkin' to me?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Thanks for that , I dont own the 750 bible would you be able to post some pics of the pages ?
Thanks Martin
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

Martin, pretty sure the DesmoKid is right, they are shocks that were on later Sports, 750SS's and the 1975 SS's, The early Sports were different at the base, and the later (than '75) were different at the top. Pitty about the ding in the top, they might be able to be repaired though. Dave
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a scanner so cannot add the photo. But goggle books show the 74SS shock clearly on page 98, and the shocks on a Sport on page 117, from Ducati 750 Bible. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=5Si ... t&resnum=5 Hope this helps.
Are you talkin' to me?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Dave , I do have a spare shaft that I can replace it with , but I didnt want to mark the seal nut or damage it that would be even worse I reckon
I'm sure and engineer could repair it if needed to

What does your 75 have ?

Cheers
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

I don't have my '75 anymore but from pictures I see that the shocks had 5 spring preload setting, my Sport has only 3 like in your pictures. So that is another difference. The length from eye to eye was 305mm on both. For riding the Marzocchis are very hard on your back, Koni's or Ikons are much beter.
Dave.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Martin,

I had a look on a friends GF this week and have some photos on my mobile phone. I didn't notice your bit about the shorter length, so didn't check that. I'll take a camera over there over the weekend. What is the length from middle of the eye to top of shock boday base (where the nut screws in?

The 1974 sport did in fact have the rubber top and used the same shocks as the GF. Earlier sports used the three position three ball bearing preload adjuster , and no rubber cap.

Kev
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Martin,

See below for photo of an original GF shock.

The 175mm is approximate, best I could record with a tape measure and limited access, but it'd only be a few mm either way. It is to the top of the body not including the nut height.

Kev
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Here is a photo of the left shock on another 74 SS. This bike is unrestored and has travelled 33 km from new. The shock looks like yours Martin; but I imagine everyone is satisfied by now that you do indeed have a pair of 74 SS/sport shocks.

Are you talkin' to me?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Thank everyone , I will repair or replace the damage to the top mount , as It will be worth while , 33km's from new WOW could you like to post a pic of the bike ?

Cheers Martin
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

kev-just an observation(dont take this the wrong way)---the GF wasnt in running condition when you took them pics--i spotted something-wonder if anyone else did-not that it mattered,as the subject was shocks
so much time--so little to say
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Steve,

Fire away. No offence taken for any comments - I ain't that precious (or knowledgable!). It ain't mine anyway - wish it was. The providence is very well known, same owner since circa 77. Hasn't been running for quite some time as you point out, but soon to be on its way back.

Kev
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Its only a fuel hose Steve whats the big deal ?
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

no was'nt fuel line
so much time--so little to say

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”