Steering head bearing replacement

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Steering head bearing replacement

Post by mizike77 »

I recently installed new bearings in the steering head of my Darmah. I used a bicycle headset press to set the races in. My question is this, are the races supposed to recess into the headstock a little or are the races set flush with the top and bottom of the headstock? Something doesnt seem to be right with my front end. I also changed the fork oil before I saw steves recommendation for type and level, and I put too thin oil in there.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

I have 7.5wt oil in the Cerani Fork on my Laverda,I weight 120kg and it works very well,not harch at all and good under brakes
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The bore for the races in the frame should have a little step where the race seats.The races may stand a little proud of the top of the tube or not.As long as the race is seated you should be ok.Even if the race is a bit below the top of the bore you should have enough clearance to get the head bearings adjusted properly.Be sure and check them after you have ridden it a while as things can settle and the adjustment will loosen slightly.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Im not sure I seated the races fully. I set them in headstock and press until the press stopped, wich was when the races were flush with the top and bottom of the headstock. If the races tend to go a little further into the headstock than flush, I will have a problem...
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I would ride it a bit and recheck the adjustment.I don't think the races are ever recessed more than about a millimeter anyway.Just avoid high speed sweepers for a while!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

make sure the things are seated fully in the recess..... That is how you install them. Then all the other advice you have rec'd above is also valid.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”