Marzocchi rear shock - rebuild

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Marzocchi rear shock - rebuild

Post by fritz_tc »

I'm rebuilding the rear shocks for my 73 GT and was wondering if there are seal kits available. I've search the internet but couldn't see much at all.

The eye rubbers are gone - tried my local suspension shops for something that I could use/modify - but they were as helpful as a bad analogy.

Cheers

Geoff
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Marzocchi rear shock - rebuild

Post by Craig in France »

fritz_tc wrote:I'm rebuilding the rear shocks for my 73 GT and was wondering if there are seal kits available. <snip>
Hi Geoff

It might help if you can give us a bit more info .. :-)

1. Where are you?
2. Which - if any - of the 'known' Bevel suppliers have you already tried, e.g. Steve Allen - at Bevel Heaven, of course; Phil at Road and Race; Andy Nienhagen at Desmo etc etc.

Ciao

Craig
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

1. Perth, Western Australia.
2. Have looked at all the popular Ducati supplier sites. Just finished looking through the Mdinaitalia site - great site but no joy. Still have to make a phone call to Gowanlochs.

The only part I have found is the rubber bump stop, and mine don't need replacing.

Cheers

Geoff
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Geoff,
try www.bevelrubber.com.au for your eyelet rubbers.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Geoff,

That makes two sets of Marzocchis being rebuilt in Perth. I'm doing my 74 Sport shocks and whilst I can get away with the eye rubbers, one of them is on the way out, so if you find a source, post it up. I haven't been able to locate any new parts for them. The kits used to come with the top "nut", but they now appear "unobtainium".

I've just had a mate turn up some new nylon piston seals for me out of nylon bar. They work a treat. My next problem is the special valve washers that control upward and downward damping. A previous assembler put them together without being carefull they were properly lined up and bent them a bit. I think I'm going to have to look at getting some laser cut from 8 thou shim steel.

Kev
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

[quote="Macdesmo"]Geoff,
try www.bevelrubber.com.au for your eyelet rubbers.[/quote]

Have tried them. No joy. Sigh.

Cheers
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

Kev,
You and your mate should make kits! I'm on holidays at the moment so am running around looking at all sorts of places for the eyelets at least. I certainly will post info on what I find - given the number of shocks out there you'd think some enterprising bugger would make something.

Will stay in touch.

My GT is a real basket case so I've got lots of time for looking for stuff.

Geoff
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Geoff,

Best of luck with the search. Another thing for our Damien (Bevel Rubber) "wish list"!

Kev
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

Kev,
Spent about 20 minutes in the back of the Odin Auto Spares looking for bushes in their collection. Couldn't find anything in their catalogue.

Bought a couple of bushes that looked close but trying to make them fit was just impossible. The bush fitted into the eye of the shock (with brute force) but then the hole was way too small for the tube insert. As there are two of these inserts I'm going to look for one (smaller OD) to replace the two.

They say it's the journey (restoration) that matters...

Geoff
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Geoff,

My mate that turned up the nylon seals for me works in an engineering works. He is going to chase up with some of their suppliers. Dunno what the chances are of the right OD, but we'll see. The ID is less of an issue as many of them I have seen are sleeved anyway. I'll let you know what I've found.

I managed to complete the rebuild of mine last night buy borrowing the valve washers I need from my mates spare shocks. Just need to get some made up to replace them now, but at least it'll be back on the road this weekend, all going well. Yahoo!

Kev
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Geoff,

After looking at a Marzocchi AG Strada manual today and realising the oil hydraulic internals are almost identical to the A73/Euro 74 shocks, I pulled out my old Marzocchi AG shocks from my 78 Darmah out of my parts bin and found the insulating rubber eyelets OD (called silentblocks)are the same size (looks like 25mm) as those on the GT and Sport shocks. That may make them easier to find - or it may not. I replaced them with Koni 204 shocks many years ago so I checked out what is in the upper eye of them. Guess what? Looks like the same size - 25mm x ~ 20mm thick. It is a slightly different arrangement in that the Koni has a thin layer of rubber between the shock eye body and the outer metal casing of the silentblock (which is probably bonded to the silentblock, but everything else looks the same and I think it would be workable. I came to thinking that it may even be a standard size. I got onto Ikon's web site. Yahoo!!!

Look here...

http://www.ikonsuspension.com/content/r ... arts.shtml

I suspect you need part number 1018 05 01 11 (the silentblock) with a 7072 11 026 0 sleeve to take it down to the right size for the bolt.

Comments anyone? Someone must have done this before.

Kev
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

fritz-were you looking for eyelets or rebuild parts--seals,washers ,internals-etc--if internal----pm me

bm1
so much time--so little to say
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Geoff,

Oops...I think the sleeve you'll need is actually 70 52 11 5240 for a 10mm bolt.

Kev
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

machten,
Yeah I looked at that site, also looking at HagonOz.com.au and found this size 1/2" x 24 x 22 which may work too. I'm going to buy one ($6.50 plus postage) and see how it goes.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”