900ss or 900ssd fairing fit ?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
DTM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DTM »

Trying to get more work done on my 1981 900ss and have come across a problem ! Some time ago I aquired a set of panels/fairing etc from a 900ssd .. In the mist of time I sold a front fairing .. I think it must have been the one originally fitted to the 900ss . So I think I'm left with the wrong fairing . Things are close and I see that the ssd fairing front brackets share the same part number with the 900ss .. It does seem that the rear cross frame bracket does not match the fairing holes and things just dont seem as they should be . I'm sure I could fit it but just before I reach for the fibre glass and swear box ??help !! .... Any advice on this greatly appreciated . Cheers Tom
Trying to find the will to finish a restoration started a while back (900ss)
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Dont you hate that, knowing that you no longer have the genuine fairing ,
anyway as you know the SSD and SS fairings are close but definitely different , the SSD was thicker in the glass and kicked up at the rear so the speak and the rear fairing mounts came of the frame angling backwards , the SS also positions the lower fairing somewhat more forward as the brace goes from one side to the other and is attached to the main frame near the igniter boxes , the SS fairing is also "if you can call it" Shallower in the angle that it flairs out if you know what I mean , if you still have the brace I would just get a SS fairing made and be done with it.
However if your not going down this path and you are going to use the SSD fairing and still have the SS brace would you want to sell it as I'm looking for one
DTM
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DTM »

Thanks for that ... Its pretty much as you say .. Guess I have a spare ssd fairing .. anyone out there need one ? Mores to the point anyone have a 1980(ish) ss fairing or best place to get one . There is a guy local to me who does a lot of fabrication mostly on HD's happy to see if he will make copy fairing mounts for the ss .. Great isn't it .. weathers good for once .. enter workshop full of hope ..leave with tail firmly between legs ! Bugger !!!
Trying to find the will to finish a restoration started a while back (900ss)
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

You could try this seller
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-SS-FAIRING ... 0343940205&

Just beware the headlight hole is for a 75 - 79 as the 80 model I think had the larger light but I'm not sure on that for sure

Good luck with it
My parts search for the SS is getting smaller , I just picked up a set of 76 marzocchi shocks for AU$50 it dont get better than that LOL
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: 900ss or 900ssd fairing fit ?

Post by Craig in France »

DTM wrote:Thanks for that ... Its pretty much as you say .. Guess I have a spare ssd fairing .. anyone out there need one ? !!!
Yes, I'd be interested. Pm me, if you like.
DTM wrote:Mores to the point anyone have a 1980(ish) ss fairing or best place to get one .
Seeing as you're in the UK, try Brancato Engineering.

HTH

Craig

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”