Another steering lock question

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Another steering lock question

Post by Lumpy »

The steering lock on my 82 SS does`nt work. The key goes in and starts to turn a little and then comes to a dead stop and does not lock. It`s quite free when it starts to turn and no amount of wiggling, jiggling, WD40 spraying or Italian swear words make it go any further. The key came with the bike and as I`m only 3rd owner I`m assuming it`s the right key............but hey...........I`ve been wrong before. Anyone seen this before??
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

turn the clipons back and forth [wiggle them a bit] while you try to turn the key. You might just not have the steering lock pin lining up with the hole in the steering tube.

I would also suggest to simply remove the top triple clamp piece, and the nuts/washers, and slip out the top steering bearing. Shine a light down inside and see what is going on there.

Again, I would assume the hole in the steering tube is not lining up with the steering lock.
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

steering lock

Post by Lumpy »

Thanks for that Steve. I`ve tried wiggling the bars to no avail but the hole not lining up is a good call. I`ll pop the triple clamp and have a sniff down there. Cheers

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”