Early 60's 250 Frame Inquire

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
cmborn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Early 60's 250 Frame Inquire

Post by cmborn »

I am in the process of restoring a 250 single. The forks indicate 1963. The question relates to the frame and previous owner modifications. Is the cross member correct or does it need to be removed? What's up with the welded bar across the joint?

Image[/img]
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I'm no expert on singles but that looks to be a rear loop that has been welded onto a frame that was either modified or wrecked. It appears to have a crack forming in the lower right side of the joint too! The bars are a definite bodge. I would have the welding redone by a professional and clean up the bird poops holding the rear loop.It's kind of a shame you've painted it already but you don't want to have the seat break loose while you are riding Do you?
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Wdietz is right .The front seat mounts are wrong too. There should be a hole in the rear loop for the tailight wiring to pass through but not as many as in yours. I can't see in the photo whether you have toolbox mounts. Also, I can't see if the rear guard mounts are correct either. I can't remember what the mounts for the original regulator were like. Best advice is to find out what model it is and have a look at one if you can. I would be looking around for a original frame if you are going to restore to original. The parts book will give you an idea. All the best.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

this frame had a crossbar welded over the shockmounts originally .
that makes this frame a scrambler frame

Eldert
cmborn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by cmborn »

Thank you for your comments and advice. I had the frame media blasted and oxide coated just to see what was under the powder coat. I also noticed that the front lower tube was straightened in a rough manner. The media removed the bondo and revealed the compromise. I hope the unknown previous owner survived the impact...

Since I have most other parts...let the search begin. Any ideas on where to look for a Diana or Monza frame would be welcomed!

Chris
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Try Phil Hitchcock at road and race- check Steves links for contacts
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Bob Lancastle
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

250 single frame

Post by Bob Lancastle »

Hi,

I'm in the process of restoring a Mach 1.

email me on [email protected] and ill send you some pics

Bob

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”