10mm shaft marzocchis- anyone got rebuilt kits?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

10mm shaft marzocchis- anyone got rebuilt kits?

Post by Aussiess »

Stop laughing all of you...... I am looking for a set of rebuild seals for the old marzochis with 10mm shafts. About 78 -79 vintage.
Someone must have some or know of someone who has them. I have sucessfully dismantled my set and need new seals.
I also would like to know how much oil would you put back in them and what viscosity if you were a 105kg bloke like me!

Appreciate any serious answers and not just raucous laughter!
Giggles acceptable.
A source repected.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
kracka
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kracka »

Hi Grant,

I had my shocks (81 MHR) rebuilt by these guys a few months ago with excellent results.

They may be able to help you out with kits? and what oil etc to use.

Rad motorcycle shockie repairs
707 Sherwood Rd
Sherwood QLD 4075

PH-(07) 33793302
Regards

Brendon.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Thanks Kracka,
I got onto a place in Penrith NSW called SOS suspension, they gave me the oils info.
His advice- fill the inner chamber full with oil (weight dependant to your dampening desires) (read body weight 105kg) for me and a pillion I will use 15W, after the inner chamber is full, allow the oil to fill the main body to approx 1/3 capacity. remember to keep the internal chamber full.
THEN replace dampening rod /shaft into inner chamber and then begin reassemble.
I am sure there are "exact capacities" floating around somewhere but these sound about right and I will advise once done how it all works.

Gowanlochs had the seals but no dust seals, so got them coming, still obviously look for dust seals though
Will keep the post informed anyway in case others are looking to rebuild old SS shocks

Only dust seals to go....help?
Regards,
Grant
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I have a set of Ohlins clicker Shocks that are rated to high , I wonder if any of those places would be able to change the internal valving, even at the softest setting the rebound is way to slow or harsh which ever way you look at it
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Martin,
There are a few places locally (OZ), namely racetech (Frank) or the guy I used in Penrith-Sean at SOS Suspension. You can always call him 02 47 325533
Regards,
Grant
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Realise you are only after dust seals now but www.mdinaitalia.co.uk lists
"Marzocchi rear damper rebuild kits. AG Strada....#21.43 ET85 models with 10mm damper rod....#31.43."

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Jon,
Yeah mate saw them and spoke to Andrew at Mdina, they are the exact rebuild kit that I was told I couldnt get here in OZ,
The kits are the replacement "heads" off the shock body that contain the seals / dust wipers all in the one unit. I bought the pair he had on the shelf.
Also now have spare seals.

Thanks for all feedback on this one to all, job I hope now complete apart from paint and put back together and try out. Will get stickers for shock bodies from Motographics in Sydney (round marzochi sticker)
Regards,
Grant
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

grant,
sounds like you've got these sorted-i look forward to the after photos to compere with before shots-you have inspired me to have a go at my original early marzoccs
cheers steve
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

No worries Steve, its thanks to you mate. Will post photo when complete.
Regards,
Grant
BevelDave
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by BevelDave »

Aussiess, Are your shocks the type with the crimped nut to get the seals out or are they the type with the hex nut? Try Bevel Rubber, he has the bumper blocks advertised, he also has a seal kit for 10mm shafts although not advertised.
Dave
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

All,
Just logged into the Bevel Rubber site and there were the seal kits. Looks like a new addition.

Geoff
"Blind faith leads to desired truth." Adam Peenum
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

The set I have have the crimped nuts and they were the replacement heads I bought from Mdina.

Ive finished the rebuild of these now, they work fine, have also rebiult a set of Stradas (black bodies) and now coninue to look for ONE 79ss shock to complete my set off my 79 English 900 SS-- Help?????
Regards,
Grant

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”