Rear Shocks

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

The decal was probably applied before the base coat had cured properly. This is called 'alligatoring' and happens when painting if you apply succesive coats too quickly. Also the old water transfer decals from the 70's were prone to cracking and shrinking over time. You can see the same thing happening here on this NOS fender that I sold Image
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Gum,
I just read an article in a British Magazine (Motorcycle Sport and Leisure Nov 2008) about Ian Gowanloch and in the article he says that he went to Italy to source parts for Ducatis. While there he went to a supplier of centerstands, fairing brackets, and front mudguards and bought the lot of what they had. He said he was surprised at the difference in shades and colors of yellow that was used. No two were alike. He also stated that quality control was a big problem at the time which I think we already know.
It's also common knowledge that when decals were fitted at the factory they weren't measured for specific fit but were "eyeballed".
It also isn't surprising that a transfer type decal would split like that with age.
As many have said here it looks like you have a genuine 1973 750S there.
Do you know what the rest of the handlebar switch gear looks like?
I still don't think it's that far of a reach to think that the headlight shell and shocks weren't put there at the factory given their history of mixing and matching parts among models.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Headlight

Post by Gum »

He has the original headlight, and loom, also some fagile white box thing, maybe a fuse holder. Thanks Gum
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Ok the numbers are.

Post by Gum »

The frame number is DM 9595 752938

I think its real and have bought it, should be in Australia by late Feb, Thanks Gum

Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Gum,
Well done! That's a great start to 2009.
Ian
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks

Post by Gum »

I think so, it was not cheap, but at my age and the fact that it wont get any cheaper it had to be done. Keep an eye on the post as I will do a complete story with pics on the bike, from traveling to the USA and picking the bike up, to getting it on the road here in Australia. Thanks Gum
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey Gum,
Good on ya for the purchase.
Looking forward to the story, keep us posted.
Dean
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

baddean wrote:Gum,
I just read an article in a British Magazine (Motorcycle Sport and Leisure Nov 2008) about Ian Gowanloch and in the article he says that he went to Italy to source parts for Ducatis. While there he went to a supplier of centerstands, fairing brackets, and front mudguards and bought the lot of what they had. He said he was surprised at the difference in shades and colors of yellow that was used. No two were alike. He also stated that quality control was a big problem at the time which I think we already know.
It's also common knowledge that when decals were fitted at the factory they weren't measured for specific fit but were "eyeballed".
It also isn't surprising that a transfer type decal would split like that with age.
As many have said here it looks like you have a genuine 1973 750S there.
Do you know what the rest of the handlebar switch gear looks like?
I still don't think it's that far of a reach to think that the headlight shell and shocks weren't put there at the factory given their history of mixing and matching parts among models.
Dean
I read somewhere he bought all ducati pre 85 spares from ducati-heaps of containers full of parts
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

The story I got was , that Ducati sold him all crap that they couldn't sell and was no market for back then, He does have a good supply of stock but boy there is some garbage there as well and some prices are way over the top.

Talking about quality control, I went over there last year to check out a NOS SSD fuel tank they have there , when I first looked at it I asked who had repainted it ,no one this is from the factory yeah right I said as I pointed out the two different shades of silver/blue in the middle of the tank and I dont think that even if quality control was that bad back then that they would have changed spray guns halve way through the paint job so they still have it there for AU$900 miss-matched paint and all
stanley

Post by stanley »

The reason the crap is also there is because he buys everything, not just the cream of the parts. Try & get to Ian's farm for a look at what HE has.
If the pricing you are whining about is from the shop, that is nothing to do with Ian. He doesnt own it anymore.

If all he got was the crap can you explain the 100 or so new original, trimmed SS dual seats. I am sure nobody wants those??? The amount of good stuff was overwhelming last time I was down there.

I have seen some of the stuff that came from the factory back then as parts & it was dog doodie. I would not be surpised that the paint was mismatched at all. I have seen a '82 SS fairing that had horribly crooked stickers, really badly ovalled & mishaped headlight opening supplied as a new part from the factory to Frasers. The thing was junk before it was even unwrapped.

Gum, congrats on the purchase. Not an easy bike to find these days no matter how much you want to spend.

Dave Ward
Moto Italia
Aprilia-Ducati-Moto Guzzi
0432 441 985
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks

Post by Gum »

Yes, from the little I know, they are hard to find. Funny when I was 16 and had my square case 900ss I would not touch a round case for $1.00. Now I just love the round case, now im 48. Funny how we change, I could have bought 10 nice square case 900's while I have been looking. Thanks Gum
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks

Post by Gum »

Yes, from the little I know, they are hard to find. Funny when I was 16 and had my square case 900ss I would not touch a round case for $1.00. Now I just love the round case, now im 48. Funny how we change, I could have bought 10 nice square case 900's while I have been looking. Thanks Gum
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks

Post by Gum »

Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks

Post by Gum »

jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

are his parts for sale-how does one access these parts

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”