Rear Shocks

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Gum,
The rear shock upper mount nut doesn't look right. Its only a small thing but there looks like a washer missing or something, so maybe the shocks were replaced. Is there a toolkit with the bike? The alloy shrouds generally featured on US spec 750GTs while we got the black covers. This looks like a low mileage bike and you should grab it. I would give the owner $25K AUD if it runs OK.
Ian
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Gday Ian

Post by Gum »

You are correct, the nuts don't look correct. As far as know no 1973 Sports were delivered to the USA ??????????. By the way what is distance betweeen the front and rear wheels on these bikes. Im redoing my shed and making floor to ceiling shelving and im making room for my Sport when I get it, I think a nook of 2400mm will do ????? Thanks Gum
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Questions

Post by Gum »

Ok we are getting close to a deal, what do I need to ask, tool kit ??? Rim numbers seem a big issue on this forum, engine and frame numbers, ETC thanks Gum .

Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Gum,
Stop our pain and buy it! If you don't you will be cursed by the lot of us.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Forget the nook in the shed, this one should be parked in your living room! Need I say more?
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Numbers

Post by Gum »

Do the frame and engine number match a 73 sport, thanks Gum, Ps does it have a glass tank ????
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Check out the Roundcase data index in bevelheaven.com (from the home page look on the left index, technical info, data index); always hard to absolutely confirm if it's a Sport or not, but it's probable.

Looks like a glass tank from the picture, and the other pics suggest the headlight rim isn't original (no idiot lights, light switch) and it's missing the choke lever too. That makes me think the left hand switch gear has been changed... The headlight is hard to come by.

You need to post up the wheel rim numbers for confirmation.

I have a 73 Sport, not as tidy as this one though...
Cheers
Geoff
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Tar

Post by Gum »

I will get numbers of the rims and post them, I will get some pics of the headlight on now, the carbs have been removed, maybe the choke lever has been taken off as well. I cant make any sense of the engine and frame numbers on this site. Thanks for the input, any other critics would be much appreciated, thanks Gum.

Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

I wouldn't worry too much about it Gum; the headlight lens is the correct JOD Dupolo, it's only the bucket that looks wrong without the idiot lights and switch; here's mine:

I can now see your switch gear and yes the LHS gear looks wrong on the picture, but again not too difficult to put right if it concerns you.

Yes the data index is hard to follow, but your engine number looks credible in that it's in the right range; there's just no guarantees that's all; there were plenty of GTs "Sportified" over the years...

If you can get a good price, buy it. I got mine from an former '70s Ducati dealer in Houston in 2006 and brought back to UK a couple of years ago. I spent many hours chatting to him before he sold it to me; he became more of a bike breaker in the 80s and picked it up my bike in 1985 for a few hundred $$ and put it to one side, along with the two 900SS that he raced in the 70s (one still in its original condition after blowing up a Daytona in its last race!), a Darmah and a few other old bits of Brit Iron...

Cheers
Geoff
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Gum is that the one that you were talking about getting a little while ago ?
If it doesn't come with carbs , I have a set of 32mm carbs for it pretty sure that is what they came out with std
Rim wise they should have Front WM2-19 RM-01/4403-40 and Rear WM3-18 RM-01/4626/1-40
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Thanks

Post by Gum »

I will quiz him on all this info, thanks. The headlight worries me as he says he is the 2nd owner, and saw in unpacked from the crate when new, in the USA and its a very early one and it 100% original inc red plug wires, carbs, and the brake. Removed for storage. Thanks again Gum PS This is great for me as I know very little about Ducati's and Im learning.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Decals

Post by Gum »

Some one has mentioned that the Tank Decal is to low ??? Thanks Gum, I have sent an email regarding the questions raised, and waiting on a reply. I have all but bought it, waiting on him to get back to me with details. I think he reluctant to sell it, or at least seems to.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Gum, It is nearly impossible to fake the kind of original patina displayed on this bike. From your pictures I believe that this bike is what it appears to be. Certainly some minor things may have been fixed, changed, etc. in its 35 year & 43,000km history. If I were the current owner I would be reluctant to sell, too.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Switch Gear

Post by Gum »

Left side, ?????????
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

the tank paint job would worry me-i never saw one like that-and im talking about when they were new-i have been consumed by ducati charissma since 1975 this bike looks like a sport and probably is-but patina means zip-caveat empor
but in mho this is a sport-buy it-its got all the stuff anyway

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”