Marzocchi 38 fork in MHR Mille '85

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Mike78
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Marzocchi 38 fork in MHR Mille '85

Post by Mike78 »

Hi, I'm currently working on my Ducati MHR Mille and it seems, that the fork isn't the one which was originally used by Ducati. In an older foto of my bike (from the pre-owner) a black fork without adjustment screws is mounted. The actual fork ist has air-valves on the upper side and one adjustment screw on each leg near the brake mounting. It's diameter is 38mm. Colour is gold/brown. I'think i've seen a fork like this on a Mille S2. Can anybody tell me the whole name of the fork. It would be perfect if someone could send me an service manual because i've to change the sealing rings. Sorry for my english mistakes,
Greetings, Mike

Ducati MHR Mille '85
Yamaha SR 500 '78
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Mike do the caliper mount bolts pass throught the caliper and thread into the fork?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Your english is much better than my german! They look like Marzocchi M1R forks. They were fitted to 1989-90 Ducati 851s and to Bimota DB1s although the sizes may have been different, especially for the Dukes.

Google them and see what you come up with for maintenance information.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Mike, Those fork appear to be the Marzocchi magnesium slider forks that were the hot setup back in the late 70's. I believe they use the same seals as the standard forks [38mm]. I was told that they worked ok but the stiction was pretty high and a fork brace helped as it kept the sliders in alignment.
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Mike
the NCR endurance racers used the same forks and yes the sliders are
magnesium . if you put on the original forks back again i would be
interested in this fork

Regards Eldert
Mike78
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Mike78 »

Thanks for all the answers, this is a really helpfull forum!

@BevHevSteve: Yes, the caliper mounts pass through the caliper and thread into the fork

@Eldert: Sorry, I don't think that I'm going to sell the fork. There are some more parts not original on my bike, so it fits well.
Ducati MHR Mille '85
Yamaha SR 500 '78

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”