Old and Modern Shocks

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Old and Modern Shocks

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Older and New rear shocks do they have air or nitrogen under pressure ?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

the Works Performance shocks that I sell use nitrogen.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

Most of the shocks fitted to bevel twins have neither. They are oil-damped with springs for absorbing shocks. I believe later Darmahs and Pantah-based machines had an air valve on each shock and thus would be air-assisted.
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Hi Steve

Do you sell the seal kits for them as well???
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:Hi Steve

Do you sell the seal kits for them as well???
For the works performance shocks? No, - I send in customer shocks to them for rebuild presently. That way the engineers at WP can completely go through and check everything out so you get a good set of shocks back, not just new seals oil & nitrogen.

On my long list of things to do in the future is to offer this service here using all of the WP parts etc. Quite an investment in tools and supplies though, but they would train me etc.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Martin, If absolute originality is not an issue I heartily recommend the Works Performance shocks. I put a set on my Darmah and the ride and damping is better than any other twin shock bike I've ever ridden. They make the stock 78 seat seem almost comfortable even after 10mi.!!! They can valve the shocks to match your weight and riding style and combined with the fork springs it will transform the bike.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Thanks Steve
I might see if I can get Phil at Road and Race do a number on them for me

wdietz
I have a set on the SSD as it came with them already fitted , I also took off the fork caps and its has a two stage progressive spring set in them as well , I had some spare air valve fork caps that install to them might have to play around with the pressures on them at some point and see what works best on them
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Dont use the air caps to add presure,only bleed build up presure,if you want better performance from them,Cartride Emmulators from Race tech
are the go,give Terry Hays in Sydney a ring,much better progressive action.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Vince wrote:Dont use the air caps to add presure,only bleed build up presure,if you want better performance from them,Cartride Emmulators from Race tech
are the go,give Terry Hays in Sydney a ring,much better progressive action.
Have you got a number or link for him ?
and what are Cartride Emmulators ???

Found it
http://www.racetech.com/shopping/shopdi ... +Emulators
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

That are a nifty little gadget that converts the std Maz or Ceriani forks to
cartridge or variable damping style,its a spring loaded valve that under various loads allows a bigger passage for oil to flow through,you disable your standard holes by drilling them bigger and this gadget sites under the main spring and replaces the damping function,about $400 fitted approx,
his company name is Shock Treatment and there out near Warragamba Dam,he is the Race Tech Oz importer and is THE man with suspension locally.He has a website under the company name.There on my Laverda and work great.The std fork will either work with high speed damping,thats fork speed,square sharp edged bumps,or low speed damping braking or bigger deeper bumps,not both at the same time,these gadgets work for both.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”