Is the Actual Sidestand LEG for a Single the Same as a Twin?

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MotorcycleFool
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Is the Actual Sidestand LEG for a Single the Same as a Twin?

Post by MotorcycleFool »

This may be a stupid question. I know the whole assembly is totally different - mounting points and all, but what about the stand itelf? Is one from a '60s bevel single the same as, or significantly different from, the one for a '74 GT?
MotorcycleFool
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by MotorcycleFool »

Just in case someone's thiinking: "Why would anyone need to know that?", here's the deal: I have a '74 GT with no sidestand. I have a perfect bevel single sidestand setup, and another not-so-perfect one, from the 2 basket cases I'm parting out.

The GT is torn down to the bare frame right now, so I have no way of ascertaining whether one of these single stands might be used to good effect as part of an ethnically-engineered sidestand setup on the GT. The twin setups go for big bucks, and I'd really like to have a sidestand on it when I get it back together.

Can anyone tell me the similarities/differences in length, etc. between the two types of stand leg?
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

If the sidestand for a '74 GT is anything like the one that was fitted to my 860 GT I seem to remember that they are just about useless and not worth the bother. They are a nuisance to use, hold the bike too upright and are unstable to boot. As well, its hard to start the bike on the sidestand.
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Yeah, what he said. And no, they aren't anything alike.

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”