Chassis Torque Settings

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Panta600
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Chassis Torque Settings

Post by Panta600 »

Hi folks,
I'm new here so please be gentle.
I would like to obtain Ducati Pantah chassis torque settings (Nm)?
Where does one find this information?
Cheers,
Steve
Nothing beats the 4 x 2 seat of a Pantah!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Pantah torque settings

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Steve,

From the workshop manual, normally.

500 SL version on Steve's site; CD versions on eBay, also paper versions sometimes; or from Motomanuali etc ...

HTH

Craig in UK/France
Panta600
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Panta600 »

Thanks Craig,
I've searched everywhere though I still can't find it?
Specifically, I require the torque settings for the front end. Triple clamps, front wheel axle pinch bolt, front wheel nut, front brake caliper bolts...et el.
I might have to use a generic bolt/nut size specific chart which might suffice?
Cheers,
Steve
Craig in France
Paso 906

Torque values

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Steve,

Ok, got you.

I think you'll find that you can simply use standard torque ranges for 8.8 metric bolts. (Just check if any are fine thread as this can change things).

It's true that Ducati weren't generally very good at specifying values for these locations. I also have a Laverda, and Laverda were much better at giving torque values. And, guess what? They're all exactly what you'd expect ...

Btw, I once had cause to check what the correct torque for the bolts that keep the brake caliper halves together. After a bit of a rummage, the UK Brembo importer came back and gave me ... yup, you guessed, exactly what you'd expect!

Ciao,

Craig in UK/France
Bumbler
Mariana

Same problem

Post by Bumbler »

Steve,

I had the same problem...Could not find tourque values anywhere. There are vtorque values for the newer bikes at Ducati's home page ...some of these will apply

But yes...most annoying especially when it came to brake calipers, axle nuts, brake rotors etc...

There is a ton of stuff on the net regarding types of bolts and their structural strength/tourque values...could not post them here sorry

When in doubt do this: Keep srewing the bastard till it strips then back it off half a turn!!!!

Think once, think twice....Think soft aluminum cases!!!!
Bumbler.... '82 Pantah 600
Panta600
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Panta600 »

:oops: Thanks Bumbler!
I ended up using a Suzuki SV650 service manual which has a page of torque values for metric size bolt diameters. It lists torques for conventional bolts (8.8 grade) and high tensile steel bolts (10.5) I think? Anyway, have not stripped threads or broken lugs thus far.
Maybe the top fork brace will fly off when I get this old dunger back on the road!
Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”