SSD Front forks

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

SSD Front forks

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All
Can someone tell me what weight and quantity the 38mm Marzochi forks take
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

DOH found it :oops: should have had a look at some older posts 210cc 10w
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

I find these forks need more pre-load than the stock set up gives (of course, this could be said about just about any 70 or 80s fork). When I got my 80 Darmah SSD, I noted the front fork was much firmer than the stock set up that was on my 900SS, and when I took it apart, I noted someone had placed a 2" spacer between the fork cap and the spring (keep this in mind when removing the fork caps on any fork you are not familiar with, lest you get boinked in the face when the damn thing pops off). These seemed to work much better, but replacing the springs with dual rate Works Performance items and adjusted pre-load fork caps has really improved matters much more so. Now have this set up on both my 900SS and Darmah SSD....I realize all you originality folks out there are now screaming at your screens, but I tend to fall in the "practical upgrades are ok since I'm riding it" camp.....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

LOL....I know just what you mean my set had a 2.5" spacers in them, knowing that from my track day we often used to do that, so it came to no surprise to me when the cap came away with force, be fun getting it back on after I get the S/steel fork tubes for the rebuild

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”