Works Dual Rate Fork Springs/Adjustable Pre-load Fork Caps

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Spub
Mach 3

Works Dual Rate Fork Springs/Adjustable Pre-load Fork Caps

Post by Spub »

After experimenting with various spacers to alter preload and various viscosities of fork oil in the stock Marzoccis on my 900ss, I decided to take a bigger step. I bought the Works Performance dual rate spring kit and the adjustable pre-load caps and installed them over the weekend. Took two rides on a very twisty mountain course, and was quite impressed at the improvement. The bike had Works Billet Tracker shocks on the rear when I got it, and I was frustrated getting the front to match the performance of the rear shocks. The installation of the springs was very straightforward: simply remove the drain screws and drain old oil, replace screw, install lower spring, washer, upper spring, "cross over" tube", new oil, another washer, and then the adjustable pre-load caps. The springs came with PVC tubing that can be cut to add pre-load, however the springs came up about even with the top edge of the top yoke, and since the new adjustable caps extended about about 1/2" further into the fork staunchion when fully screwed in, I first tried it with no PVC spacer and just the adjustable cap. Measured from the fork fully extended (bike was jacked up with front wheel off the ground) to my sitting on the bike (bike off jack) with my full weight on it, there was supposed to be about 1- 1 1/2 inch of static sag. This was attained after screwing in the preload about 1/2 of its total travel, so things worked out perfect without any pvc spacer (I am 5'10", 190lbs). This seems to balance out the rear shocks, and the ride is much improved. Adjusting the stock set up for the same sag resulted in a harsh ride, it seemd you could feel every edge of every road imperfection. Less pre-load resulted in too much sag, and increasing the viscosity of the fork oil did not improve matters. The new set up allows 10wt oil with perfect static sag and the preload screwed in halfway. Bumps are softened compared to stock and harshness is gone, yet the ride is still firm, so no diving when appying brakes. Front wheel also tracks pavement on bumpy roads much better, no bouncing in turns. The upper springs have 3 different lenghts of "cross over" tubes that are inserted into the middle of the spring. I found the middle length was optimal. I have another bike with 38mm Marzocchis upon front (a Laverda Jota) and it always had much better performance than the Duc. Now the Duc is on a par with the JOTA (Both have Works suspension front and rear now). I really like the fact I can adjust the pre-load on the front now, and the caps look much more purposeful and businesslike than the stock caps.
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Q: Hey where did you get the custom Works Performance shocks, fork springs and Marzocchi preload adjusters for the front?

A: Bevel Heaven 8)
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

well...er....that's mostly right, Steve....I did get the Works Dual rate springs and adjustable pre-load fork caps from you, and you did give some good advice on the install, however the bike came with Work Billet Trackers in the rear, which are great shocks no matter where you get them....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”