Vegila speedo drive fitting

Post your 'Chassis & Suspension' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Jakobsen
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Vegila speedo drive fitting

Post by Jakobsen »

Hi all!

I`m about to fit my new speedo drive for my Darmah.
Could anyone tell me if the housing should sit tight beween the fork leg and the wheel, or just sit loose on the wheel spindle.

My old speedo drive was sitting loose on the spindle as the speedo wire kept it from spinning.....

I`ve fitted the washer that goes beween the forkleg and the speedo drive
but can`t figure this out.

Thanks
Håvard
Håvard
-78 Darmah
-98 Supersport
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

you might want to loosen up your triple clamps an dspin 1 fork tube at a time, to see if the space gets smaller or bigger or stays the same... You might have a bent fork tube, or bent triple clamps. It should be kinda snug, not tight, but not loose either.....................

Oh, another thought, maybe the inside of your fork leg has become rounded off [dented?] from the speedo so it created more space....... This is why we make up those stainless washers to replace the aluminum ones that will cup.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Jakobsen
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Jakobsen »

Aaa...

So the drive should be a snug fit without tightening the axle nut.... and the drivehousing should not be moving.......
Guess i`ll try turning the fork legs as i`ve got too mutch space between them.
Allways thought somehing was wrong as I almost had to "bend" the forks to get the wheel tight.

This may also have caused the bad runout on my front discbrakes?

Thanks
Håvard.
Håvard
-78 Darmah
-98 Supersport
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

Keep in mind that the *centering* of the front wheel is determined solely by the thickness of the spacer/s between the fork and the hub on the side that the axle takes the nut. Meaning that, on a Darmah with Ceriani forks with the calipers mounted forward on the front of the legs and with the axle sliding through from the right, the spacer on the left side determines the wheel *centering*. If one were to swap fork legs from one side to the other to get the calipers behind the legs then the *centering* would now be determined by the thickness of the speedo-drive and it's washer since now the axle must slide from left to right.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

when you do this swap to have the calipers behind, all you do is swap fork lowers, the axle slides in from the other side obviously, but the speedo drive and washer stay put, as well as the spacer on the other side. I have done this with several bevels. Nothing changes spacing wise so I do;t understand your point Den?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

The poster mentioned that he "almost had to "bend" the forks to get the wheel tight"

This tells me that the axle is coming in from the left side and that the speedo-drive washer is missing. This would work just fine...if there were no disks and calipers installed. It sounds like the disks are stopping the wheel from being able to be *centered* by being held by the calipers (bad runout on my front disc brakes). Then the nut is tightened squeezing the legs together to take up the slack from the missing speedo-drive washer.

Jakobsen
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Jakobsen »

Anyway...

I found the problem beeing that my right caliper wasn`t properly shimmed in position to the disk. This was causing the distance between my forklegs. :oops:

Now it is a snug fit.

Thanks guys
Håvard
-78 Darmah
-98 Supersport
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

....................[
Just as I predicted!

Return to “Chassis & Suspension Shop”