My race bike- NCR rep

Post pictures of your [pre-1985] Ducati racebikes along with a description here.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

My race bike- NCR rep

Post by Aussiess »

Hi all,
Well it took some time to get to the track , but Ive managed to do a couple of events now and I am really keen to do more as I can afford it.
Only issues- I still run a wet clutch and its cooked after the recent Phillip Island Classic meet. So new plates required. Tyres lasted the 2 meets, and the headers need some "opening up" of the reverse cones , but all in all, its all good.
Oh, I had to take out the plugs once and replace them. It was a pleasure to ride it, and I hope I can keep improving my own riding to reduce lap times even further, but I have been constantly improving each session /event , and I am still grinning like an idiot every time I fire it and head out!
Thanks to Dave at Moto Italia,Sydney OZ (Stanley as some know him), he has been an amazing source of info and mechanical help.
Its a shame Forgotten Era in OZ is becoming a 4 cylinder mega buck, 180hp class, it just takes some of the fun out of it, but, hey, at least we can get out there, and Im really just racing myself! Its fun to get the occaisional run with some of these guys though.
Its weird when you are pulling 8500 (thereabouts anyway) on the main straight on 16x 36 and someone like Jeremy McWilliams or Ryan Farquar (UK riders) pass you like you are standing still! Its an eye opener.
Anyway, its a bevel and its still out there, and it sounds cool sitting on it out there!! Hope you Ducatisti can appreciate it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75850204@N07/6960804953/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75850204@N07/6960804723/

admin edit: I posted one fo your photos Grant, its easier on everyone if you post them directly, hope you don't mind - nice bike!

regards
Grant
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Re: My race bike- NCR rep

Post by Vince »

Hi Grant,have you looked into Kevlar converted clutch plates,its done to your old plates on an exchange bases if they arnt warped.Redex in Queensland has them done for Laverdas,have a set in mine and they work really well.Speak to CJ,he has a set as well I think,maybe see you at The Barry Sheene Festival of Speed.
Vince
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Thanks Vince,
I will catch up and look into this. Sounds good.
I wont be racing the Barry Sheene, cant get the Friday off!
But will be there to support the event.
regards
Grant
Regards,
Grant
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Grant,

I was at the Island Classic, and saw you enjoying yourself ! The bike looks and sounds great ! I think I even timed you over a couple of laps.
There is an older Victorian guy ( Ray Wilson ) who races a modified Darmah that usually uses the number 121, and It took some time to realise it wasn't him. Your bike on the track, looks similar to Ray's. Either way, I was glad to see you there as the Ducati representation would have been pretty slim without you !

I agree on the period 5 regs, there is way too much disparity on the bikes. When you have professionally built, big dollar bikes, producing 170-180 hp matched with current world superbike riders, what hope does the back yarder have ?

Unfortunately, it's pushing some of the competitors out of the class. A few years ago it wasn't uncommon to have 5-6 bevels racing at the Island, this year it was you and a Pantah. I have gotten to know the boys from Davanti racing reasonably well over the years and they have basically given it away for that reason.
I understand, the big named riders draw the crowds, so maybe they need to create a period 5 sub class with a horsepower limit.

Anyway, I was glad you went to the trouble of bringing the bike down. I hope you'll be there again next year, cause I will definately come and say hello !

P.S. Please let me know the outcome of the Kevlar plates if you go in that direction, as I'm still putting my bike together, so would be interested in cost and result ?
Regards
Rick.
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I'm looking forward to a video clip of the bike in action.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Thanks Rick for the kind words re the Island, it was a blast, and yes, a HP limited class (up to say 110 hp? ) would be the go, and bring some bevels back, or maybe even like the English are doing now, and resurecting the BEARS class into Historic racing.
I will be back next year for sure, it is just too much fun!
The info on the plates is below, I just got this from Red, the laverda wizard, it seems Carbon fibre plates has been his choice as the kevlar still didnt clear the slippage issues (he is trying to work out why). So I might call these guys and see what sort of cost is involved?
I guess it still leaves plates in oil, so some slippage at some point is still on the cards.
Just got to save for a dry clutch unit! Damn they are expensive though.

the Carbon Fibre clutch plates are done in Sydney at Advanced Friction Manufacturing Australia Pty Ltd
21 Pritchard Place, Peakhurst.
Ph 02 9584 3355

Anyone can get them done, no minimum qty that I am aware off.(Reds words)

Bruce, I will see what I can do about a video clip, I have some footage a collegue took, but its not too "professional" but its something.
regards
Grant
Regards,
Grant

Return to “Racebike Photo Gallery”