860GT intake manifold: stuck

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

860GT intake manifold: stuck

Post by rjk40 »

Gentlemen:

Whilst awaiting the rework of rockers and cam, I am cleaning up various bits, and am trying without success to separate the carb and intake manifold.
The coupling ring, with screw and nut removed, does not move.

I am guessing that the reducer fitting has become bonded to the carb, but without being able to get the durned thing to move, I am stymied.

If this is another typical Kroil-and-wait deal, then I understand. If these things are not separable without damage, I will move on without separating them.

As always, any advice is welcome.

Regards,
Richard
rjk40
750 GT

Re: 860GT intake manifold: stuck

Post by rjk40 »

Got the clamp to move; stupid me, I didn't think to spread slightly.

Still, the spacer/reducer will still not move; maybe I should just work elsewhere.

Comments?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Try using a heat gun [or hair dryer] on it and get it really warm. Some gentle tapping around the flange might help too, but be careful the metal is pretty thin there. A twist and yank usually does it.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

rjk40 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm Still, the spacer/reducer will still not move; maybe I should just work elsewhere.

Comments?
These two pieces, Richard? If so:

860.jpg

Yes, they do get stuck firmly together - it's not just you! - and you're right to proceed carefully. So as Bill said, a bit of heat and a soak in whatever easing oil/lube you have, gently twist back and forward, take yer time ...

The plastic/nylon insulator ring thingy (that's what it is, btw) will often stay stuck inside the carb.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Gentlemen:

Thanks to you both. I shall do as recommended.

Last question here, hopefully:

Can the collar/ring, Ducati part number 0755.27.527 be spread enough to go over the lip on the carb without damaging it? It doesn't seem to be designed for much spreading.

Best Regards to all,
Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yes the clamp can be removed from the body just use a large screwdriver to twist and remove and yes its barbaric doing so but not impossible - Also I suggest you bolt intake to head then try to twist (only) the carb to remove it from intake manifold. If you really cant get seperated dont worry about it just take everything else off the carb so you can do your ultrasonic cleaning etc and rebuild. Whatever you do - do NOT wiggle wobble the carb trying to remove it as you will crack the body.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

All as Steve's reply, Richard :)

(Thanks Steve!)

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”