Fuel taps,GTS 900 1979

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
900tlc
Mariana

Fuel taps,GTS 900 1979

Post by 900tlc »

Having trouble with the sugar cube type fuel taps, these were renewed back a short while ago, my back carb has suffered from fuel shortage. The final straw, was finding that the taps were not shutting off. After dismantling found that the seals on both taps had moved!
Anyone have any ideas on fixing this frustrating problem, I know the next move is to renew the seals, but is that the real answer? As I have already, changed the taps already, and the previous tap assemblies,were doing the same thing, and Im now at a loss, on what to do.
Yes , I have checked the float heights and renewed the float needles and seats,the only avenue is to dump the taps and replace with Piaelo taps which I believe were fitted to the late Ducati GTS, any input/thoughts greatly appreciated
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Re: Fuel taps,GTS 900 1979

Post by Lumpy »

I re-kitted the taps on mine with new seals and had no problem. It was a fair time ago but seem to remember that it was important to grease the seals upon assembly or they would roll out of the groove. Was a long time ago but pretty sure that's how it went.
The fuel supply issue can be rust and crud gathering around the gauze in the tank. Left me chugging down the road on one lung. Easy fix through. Just pulled the fuel line off and blew back up the line and got me home on 2 pots to clean out the tank.
900tlc
Mariana

Post by 900tlc »

Found out since, new fuel sugar type taps are different, the old ones have holes with slight protruding tubes on the holes to keep the seals in place.The new taps don't have this feature just a hole instead The news seals have a moulded rib around the hole, to keep them in place , and this is where problem lies, they move off the holes,no fuel, or you cannot switch off the fuel.
JoeZ
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by JoeZ »

I had the same problem with the aftermarket fuel taps even the filters are a different diameter. I found original taps and replaced the seals, problem solved. Don't bother with the repro's, in my experience they are crap. I am constantly disappointed with aftermarket parts and struggle to comprehend why modern reproduction parts are not superior to 40 year old parts considering the machinery available today. Joe

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”