Carb Options an Opinions

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Carb Options an Opinions

Post by My750GT »

Hi All,

My GT has AMAL 930 Carbs. They have been a never ending cause of frustration. When my dad restored the bike about 15 years ago he bought a new set of carbs. They worked fine for a while and ended up just like the other sets we have in a box. The bores and slides warp and the rear one never fuels properly without a lot of effort. What is a better option out there? A better AMAL? Dellorto obviously have one for these bikes. Are they easier to deal with? My bike is not used regularly, so granted there would be some issues with old fuel and the like But I just want a bike that I can ride a little more often without the frustration. All suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Re: Carb Options an Opinions

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

You are going to get a lot of replies to this one! Yes,Amal carbs wear out,etc.Your replacement choices are endless. If you can find a good set of Delllortos from a GT750 or 860,with all the odds and ends,that could bolt right on,you would be very happy with them.You could also go into the unknown areas with Mikuni or Keihin,etc,and any or all of them properly chosen and set up would be fine,but you might spend an awful lot of money and time getting to that point.In general,I would avoid anything larger than 34-36 mm,and try to find an entire set or kit to work with rather than starting from scratch.
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

Another thought: why so much trouble with the Amals re "warping"? Too much tightening of the mounts,somehow? We used to buy complete replacement Amals because they simply wore out,for almost nothing.Given the hassle involved with a new brand of carbs,maybe sticking with Amals would be your best bet? Good luck.
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

I see that a complete set is available directly from Amal in England,specifically for the Ducati GT750 ,part # PACK129 . I couldn't get the price.
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by My750GT »

Yes I've been looking at the new ones. They are about AU$450 for a pair. Ebay has rebuild kits that have just about every part bar the jet for around $60 for the pair. The current carbs are around 14 years old with minimal use. I have straightened and faced the bowl and the base of the slide body. The warping is in the slide tube which doesn't have any forces on it. They are OK for the minute. The main issues I have is that they leak constantly. I've tried adjusting the float and cut new gaskets using thicker material but this has made little difference. These carbs seem to have to be fairly particular in setup to run properly. Too much finessing for me. Tuning I can sort. Its the actual construction that annoys me most.
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia
Ray O'Donohue
Parallel Twin

Post by Ray O'Donohue »

If the float needle and seat are both metal,you might try lapping the two together with a bit of valve lapping compound. I remember a guy doing that once-don't know how it turned out.

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”