Very Fast Idle on Choke

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
kettle738
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Very Fast Idle on Choke

Post by kettle738 »

My 860GTE is a very easy starter, I give her a couple of twists of throttle, set the choke and she will typically fire first or second kick, so I think I have a lot to be grateful for.

Once running I can dispense with the choke fairly quickly and she will settle down to a nice steady idle at about 900rpm.

The problem is.....when she first fires up on choke it takes the revs up to nigh on 4,000rpm and that just feels brutal to me on a cold engine...it makes me wince every time. :(~

I have nothing to compare it to.....but I do recall some mid 70s Kawasakis doing the same thing......they used to set my teeth on edge too :shock:

Is this something I just have to live with or does it sound like something that can be adjusted to a more sympathetic fast idle?

Mick............kettle738.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Very Fast Idle on Choke

Post by BevHevSteve »

Mick - to clear things up for you, that is not a "choke" it is a fuel enrichener meaning, you are flooding the carbs.

When I start the bike I IMMEDIATELY flip the levers back down and blip the throttle or hold it steady at a couple thou.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
kettle738
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Very Fast Idle on Choke

Post by kettle738 »

Hi Steve, thank you for that, I understand it's an enrichener .....sorry, I used Choke as a term of convenience......so I can take it from that it's normal but can be overcome by reducing it almost instantly to achieve a less destructive fast idle.

That is exactly what I was doing by instinct and fear of carnage, but it's good to hear there is nothing essentially wrong...........it just feels so cruel to 'wake it up fighting' _?_ so to speak.

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.

Mick........kettle738

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”