Throttle Cable Route

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
pilotg
Diana

Throttle Cable Route

Post by pilotg »

Greetings,

I've bought a couple of Steve's phf 36mm carbs plus the cables. I'm trying to fit them to the bike and I have a question.

How do the cables route from the handlebars to the carbs? I can't follow the old olds as they came from a set of clip one and were too short.

It was a bugger fitting the cables to the carbs. I struggled with compressing the spring whilst locating the cable end in the slide.

I did buy a 70 degree guide but the cable turns out to be too short if I use that.

I need to do an update on where we are at with this bike but that will have to wait for now.

The bike is a 1981 SD 900

Advice please....
1981 SD900 Resto project
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Throttle Cable Route

Post by BevHevSteve »

Twist the throttle around so the cables route down at or about the same angle as the forks then turn back and under the tank - do not go around the front of the fork leg. Shouldn't be a problem then.

The angled adjusters do take up a bunch of slack so to use them you only need to measure how much free cable sticks out with the straight adjuster, then put the angled adjuster on and measure slack. Whatever the difference is - you have to shorten the housing by that amount. That way after shortening you end up with the same amount of free cable using the angled adjuster.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
pilotg
Diana

Post by pilotg »

Thanks Steve,

One question, what housing are you referring to? See my other new post....

Nearly there :-)
1981 SD900 Resto project
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Cable housing (sheathing)
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”