who keeps putting caramel on my slides? (77 900ss)

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
seddy
Mariana

Post by seddy »

I agree on the steel or aluminum tanks, I am watching my tank and carbs, but if I have more serious problems I will go with a aluminum tank from The Tank Shop in the UK, its about a 590$ investment. Does anyone know anyone else who makes the tanks?.
My motorcycle WAS older than my girlfriend.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

It's now been six months on my Norton fiberglass tank with Caswell sealer. Checked the inside of the tank, and the epoxy does not appear to be affected in the least; it remains shiney and intact. No carb gumming/slide sticking. I figure if the stuff was gonna fail, it would have by now. I am considering coating the inside of my 900SS tank even though it is steel, as it does have a few rust blooms, and this would solve address problem...I also recently helped a friend coat the inside of his Norton's fiberglass tank with Caswell. The stuff comes in two cans, and the mixing ratio is 2 to 3 for the resin and hardener. The instructions say the two cans are enough to coat two 5 gallon tanks, however they go on to say that the interior area of two different 5 gallon tanks are not the same, and can vary to a substantial degree, even though the volumes are indentical (i.e. a 2X2X2 tank = 8 cubic inches, a 1X1X8 tank = 8 cubic inches, but interior area of first tank is 24 square inches, and the the second tank is 34 square inches). I found that after mixing up half of the epoxy and applying it, that this was not sufficient to fully coat the inside of a Norton Fastback style tank. I actually mixed up the rest of it and sloshed this around, and while there was some extra that poured out unused, it was clear that using only half of the mixture would have resulted in an insufficient coating on the inside of the tank.
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

caswel

Post by BevHevSteve »

oh that is great info Stephen, thanks for sharing. I have heard nothing but GOOD things about this stuff, both for fibreglass AND steel tanks.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”