carbie sync - some basic questions about dellorto PHF carbs

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
noish
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

carbie sync - some basic questions about dellorto PHF carbs

Post by noish »

OK, I got my PHF carbs rebuilt with Steve's kits. Since this is my first time working with carbs, I want to get some terminology straight.

Slide screw: is this the same as the idle screw? Bigger one right in the middle of the carb with the spring on it, right? How do I tell if it's touching the slide? It doesn't go through to the slide.

Mixture screw: little screw close to the intake manifold?

Intake manifold: open end of the carb that attaches via a sleeve to the valve inlet? There is supposed to be a screw where I can attach the vacuum gauges. I see it on the Amal carbs on my Dad's commando. But I do not see anything like this on my PHF 30 carbs.

Also, what does tickover mean?

Thanks

tim neuschwander
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

carbie Qs

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Tim - just got your tele message, it is too late to call [maybe] so here to answer your questions......

Slide Screw - you are correct. put your finger on the slide. Back out the screw then when the slide stops falling start screwing it in until it starts moving the slide up. Now turn the screw in 2 turns just as a starting point before getting your bike running/carbs sync'd.

Mixture Screw - yes, the other little screw next to the slide screw. Start 1.5 turns out then sync.

Intake Manifold: On bevel twins, this is attached to the head, then the carb slips over it and is tightened down. I don;t own a GTL/GTV so I don;t know what you have but you must have something that the carb slips over... wait a min - you have rubber sleeves that slip over the carb, then those sleeves slip over some sort of intake manifold, I don;t know if your bike has the like a bevel or if it is part of the head....

Tickover = idle speed
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”