Carbs for modified Pantah

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
sh_duke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Carbs for modified Pantah

Post by sh_duke »

Hi all,

This is my first post and one about a panty, so please forgive me... :-D

I have a 680cc motor with TT2 cams, big valves etc. I had 41mm carbs on it when I purchased the motor, however, I have lost these. Yes, lost :cry: . I need to get some carbs for my baby now and I don't really want 41mm (even if you could get them) as this is a road machine. Can you please advise me on what alternatives are available? I was thinking of second-hand 38mm Keihin FCR (they have a good reputation) from late model dirt bikes, but they are only side draughts. Lectrons? Mikunis? Or should I stay with Delorto and get some nice 40mm that I've seen here on this site?

I have a pair of 38mm Mikunis from a '90 900SS, however, they are the CV type and are also siamesed, so I would rather spend money on a better solution that grafting these things on.

Thanks kindly.
Simon
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

carbs

Post by BevHevSteve »

Simon, I can get you set up with 40 mm PHM carbs that need rubber sleeves - isn;t that similar to what you have/had? They are the same price as my clamp style 40s.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
sh_duke
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sh_duke »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. The 36mm carbs you have for sale are really pretty, too. I am still keen on some carbs and your prices are excellent, but I'm pretty broke at the moment, too, so I'll have to wait. I did see some magnesium PHF36s on ebay, but I was too slow at the time (a pair went for 102 pounds!). Won't 36mm be plenty for a smallish capacity engine like mine? Some people tell me to put 40/41mm on it, others say anything smaller. I am inclined to err on the smaller size, do you have any comments on throat size? When the thing had 41s on it, it was pretty ordinary (crap?) in its performance - right through the rev range.

Thanks kindly,
Simon
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

carbies

Post by BevHevSteve »

the PHF36 carbies work very well in most situation. The 40s tend to require high RPM to be a plus, and bog down in lower RPM ranges, ie, around town type riding. I don;t think bigger is always better for this reason. I have 40s on my 900 but that is a fully sorted big valve, ported high compression motor. I always keep it above 3500 RPM, it is happiest at 4500 and higher though.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”