Mille S2 Jetting Question

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
VinceGTS900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Mille S2 Jetting Question

Post by VinceGTS900 »

1985 Mille S2, 40's with cable choke, pod air filters and contis.
Bike has been sitting for 12 years and am in the process of re-commissioning. All but the carbs and interior of tank on the bike are excellent (only 12k miles). Carbs were a mess but cleaning up nicely and have some jetting questions.

Jetting per the manual is as follows:
Float Valve: n300
Starting Jet: 60
Idle Jet: 65
Main: 135
Needle: ??
Atomizer: 265 AB

As fitted:
Float Valve: looks like 300
Starting Jet: Unknown - illegible
Idle Jet: 60
Main: 125
Needle: Unknown – illegible, possible K2
Atomizer: 265 AB

Bike is located in North Virginia, so no allowance for altitude necessary. Thoughts on what the baseline should be - looking for a conservative solution as the bike will be a casual cruiser.

Thanks for the assistance.
2013 HyperStrada
2010 KTM450 XC-W
1985 Mille S2
1982 Katana
1978 GTS900
1963 Bronco 125
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: Mille S2 Jetting Question

Post by Peter Mille »

I have fitted one number larger than stock idle jets in my Mille, it will idle somewhat smoother with the larger jets.
Because of the light(er) crank and high(er) compression, idling is a weak point with most Milles....!!

(Forgot to mention: Conti 2 into 1, and K&N filters.)
Last edited by Peter Mille on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

G'day Vince,
I have both Mille MHR and S2 with Australian Staintune pipes (Conti copy) with pod filters using factory specs and have no isssues. I can idle the MHR down to 900 rpm but can be erratic in summer temps. The problem is the large bore of the carb and lack of vacuum at low revs. Peter Mille goes up a bit on the idle jets to settle them down but I tend to just idle them up a bit using standard jetting.
I have K5 needles on the second notch and 135 mains as per factory specs.
Looks like someone has played with the needles and jets. I would have to check the DelOrto manual to see what effect your needle would have.
What slides do you have in there and what notch on the needle?
Make sure you thoroughly clean the carb bodies preferably with an ultrasonic cleaner to ensure the idle circuit galleries are free of goop otherwise you WILL have an erratic idle. Ask me how I know!
RAD
RAD
VinceGTS900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by VinceGTS900 »

Thanks gents.
I have two other bevels (Darmah and GTS - have gone down to 32s on them to make them better to ride) and lots of miscellaneous parts so will go the manual route using standard and based on your feedback and Steve's and I will also try the following (Slides are 60/1 and I cannot work out what needles are in it):
K5 2nd notch
268 atomiser
140 main
65 idle
75 starting
Vince
2013 HyperStrada
2010 KTM450 XC-W
1985 Mille S2
1982 Katana
1978 GTS900
1963 Bronco 125
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Hi Vince,
Missed this in your last email and just saw it.
If you use a magnifying glass, you will find a number on the upper shaft of the needle. Have to look hard sometimes but it is there.
Regards,
RAD

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”