new carbys

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Colin Linz
Diana

new carbys

Post by Colin Linz »

Well I finally got around to getting my bike back on the road. The 40mm carbys I brought from Steve have transformed my bike, it is better everywhere except in one area. I took it for a shakedown run yesterday up a local mountain. It went great until I turned around and came back down. There is one section of a few kilometres that is quite steep and twisty. When coming down the bike was missing and backfiring, you could hear the flames burning in the exhaust system, I’m pretty sure they were spitting back through the vertical carby too. I’m thinking it was over fuelling. Once we levelled out a bit I had no further trouble. Anyone experienced this before?
Cheers
Colin Linz
seddy
Mariana

Post by seddy »

The carbs are supposed to function normally up to 40 degrees of angle (I seem to recall reading), but that would make it a very steep hill indeed. You could try sending a note to Dellorto UK (can find them on the web) I used to buy parts from them and they were reasonably willing to answer questions.

I have the same carbs on my 900ss, and ride in the mountains of colorado, I havent had any problems, and the carbs are jetted for sea level. (on my list of things to fix).
Colin Linz
Diana

Post by Colin Linz »

Thanks for the reply. I think it may have just been a one off occurrence as it has not happened since. I’m very happy with the carburettors now; the bike starts really easy and goes so much better. I took it to a track day a few weeks ago and the bike ran faultlessly all day, although the day of thrashing has created a couple of minor oil leaks.
Cheers
Colin Linz

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”