Who uses Amal's?

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Who uses Amal's?

Post by My750GT »

Very quick question. At which notch to I set the slide pin on an Amal carbie. I am not sure if that is the correct term for it but it is the long pin that slides into the jet. 72 GT.
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Re: Who uses Amal's?

Post by abmartin »

It's called a needle and should be set in the slide in the second position.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
radecal
Parallel Twin

Post by radecal »

Just to clarify things, the notches are counted from the top of the needle down.
RAD
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

I am replying to an old post, but it raises a question. The Ducati owners manual says position 2, but the Amal web page says position 1. I just brought my Amal carbs out of storage after 20 years and they were at position 1. Note also that the Owners manual says the main jets are 190's, but my bike has 200's in it. I put my needles at position 2 and I have a bit of surging at low loads and steady speeds. I am going to try position 1 and report the results. I do not really like the Amals but want to keep the bike stock.
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

Bike is running much more smoothly with needles in top slot on the Amals. No more low load surging.

I just ordered new needles, needle jets and Viton tipped float valve by recommendation of an experienced Brit bike restoration expert. He says those pieces can be worn despite looking good. Slowly but surely, the bike is running much better.
My750GT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by My750GT »

I was wondering if anyone would reply. Top notch you say? I will have to try that. I've been experiencing the issues you mentioned in your earlier posts.
'72ish 750 GT
Functional bitser
Western Australia

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”