Mounting of Gasoline Cap on the Fuel Tank - 1973 Sport 750

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
pharquarx
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Mounting of Gasoline Cap on the Fuel Tank - 1973 Sport 750

Post by pharquarx »

The previous owner mounted the gasoline cap on the fuel tank of my 750 sport using RTV. I have removed the cap as I was concerned about safety and leakage. There is now just a clean flat metal surface that the cap was RTV'd to. I am taking the bike up to a fabricator/paint shop to do the job right, which I assume is brazing of a mount of some sort and then attachment of the cap mechanism. Does any one have photos of what this mount/installation should look like? If you could email details/photos or reference me to published references, I would be most appreciative.
Thank in advance,
Charlie
email [email protected]
Rick
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Rick »

I sent you a couple if pictures, 1 of my steel Sport tank and the other of my fiberglass SS tank. Not sure what you have, but the fiberglass tank has a steel sleeve bonded into it, with the stamped/pressed cap base attached to it- I'd expect it was bonded on. The cap base looks the same on the steel tank, but not sure how it's attached- might be hard to get braze or solder to wick up under the base. Keep in mind, both of my bikes are ex race bikes, and may have nonoriginal parts.
My Sport had the battery tray removed- I asked a question in the 'Chassis & Suspension Shop' section but no one replied- would you take a picture of your battery tray and email it back to me?
Also, the hinge side of the cap is sometimes toward the front and other times toward the rear, you should find out which is right for your bike- I don't know.
And, the more I think about it, the fiberglass tank sleeve could have been welded or brazed to the cap base and the assembly was bonded into the tank from the inside before the bottom was glassed on- again, I don't know.
Rick
pharquarx
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by pharquarx »

Rick,

Thanks much for the photos and your thoughts on the matter.
I will roll my Sport out of the garage tomorrow and will take a series of photographs for you of the battery tray. Expect them by late afternoon tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks again,
Charlie

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”