Click...Puffff..? What's going on?

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
pilotg
Diana

Click...Puffff..? What's going on?

Post by pilotg »

Here's a question for all you experienced bevel heads.

I'm new to this game so please excuse me if this a stupid question.

My newly purchased first bevel, 1981 SD900, has had a few problems. The latest development has really got me baffled.

I turn the key from off to "On". There is power from the battery because the headlights and tail lights will come on. I do nothing else now, nothing. Then, I turn the key to "Off" and a large puff of petrol fumes bursts (some pressure) from the right hand carb.

It's done this twice, separated by by a few days. After it's happened it won't do it again immediately.

What is going on? Should I be worried?

Your advice and comments are very welcome.

Many thanks
1981 SD900 Resto project
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Its possessed,seen it myself.Not that unusual
DaleMclean
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DaleMclean »

~^~

Happens often :lol: . Its just fuel being ignited by a spark caused by the coil being energised then de energised when you switch it off, just what the ignition system would do at the correct time when its actually running.

Just part of the "charm"
I survived :-)
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Dale,

That sounds not only technical, but very logical as well !!!

But, having owned one of Satans own toys for 8 years I'm going with Vince's explanation, cause much as I love it, my SD often shows signs of unexplained possession !!!!!!
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
pilotg
Diana

Post by pilotg »

Cracking!!

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to admit it but I was starting to believe that there was someone else in the shed when it happened. Now I know the truth. It explains a lot....

I'll wait for the next visitation :-)

Watch this space
1981 SD900 Resto project
DaleMclean
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DaleMclean »

rwhc80 wrote: But, having owned one of Satans own toys for 8 years I'm going with Vince's explanation, cause much as I love it, my SD often shows signs of unexplained possession !!!!!!
Mines been in my possesion 26yrs now :-D , and I am sure if i was a believer that the SATANS possesion is part of it too ;)
I survived :-)

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”