slide springs

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
commotoed
Mariana

slide springs

Post by commotoed »

Has anyone ever trimmed the carb slide springs for lighter pull? I have the lightest springs, new cables etc. and I would like to improve the feel.
Are there any other forces at work on the slides trying to raise them besides my wrist?
78 900GTS, 90 750 Sport, 97 gsf1200 "zipti"
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

cutting the springs will make them stiffer not lighter [hooks law]
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

If you go too light on the springs you can have a sticking situation when backing off from high rpm.It is due to the high vacuum on the back side of the slide pulling it against the body of the carb.It's a bit disconcerting when entering a corner too fast to begin with.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

+1 on what wdietz said... You have other problems that need to be addressed. I always recommend to NOT use the lightest springs.. Never.

Perhaps you have some that have already been cut down, perhaps mediums..... I would pick up a set of new medium springs form me and install them, and lube your cables or get new ones, lube your throttle...

If you are using any kind of an angled adjuster at the top of your carbs then you are also asking for increased resistance...... I would also get rid of them and install straight adjusters again .
commotoed
Mariana

Post by commotoed »

thanks for the response so far, New cables, straight adjusters, throttle tube clean with smooth operation. Its a GTS so I have the combi-switch throttle housing pulling one cable (don't really want to change this).
78 900GTS, 90 750 Sport, 97 gsf1200 "zipti"
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

commotoed wrote:[snip] I have the combi-switch throttle housing pulling one cable (don't really want to change this).
Therein lies your problem. That splitter causes unbelievable drag. Take it apart and lube it, that might help a bit, but it will not be a cure. Going to a twin cable setup is the cure.

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”