Phoenix, AZ Emissions 1973 750GT

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
CustomPete
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Phoenix, AZ Emissions 1973 750GT

Post by CustomPete »

After 10 years of restoration my 73 Ducati 750 never looked better.

But I need to meet emissions in Arizona. This bike was a 750GT but is set up now like a sport with Contis, 32mm Delortos/Stacks and a Dynatek Ignition. I'm running K6 needles, 120 mains and 60 pilot jets, 10 degrees of advance and BP6HS plugs. Set up like this it blew 2000 ppm HC and 6.5 % CO.

I am next going to try 6 degree advance in an attempt to lower the HC level, and #58 pilots to help with the CO. The air screws are screwed in to just prior to stalling (aprox. 1 turn out). I also went back to the original K5 needles as this remove the flat spot at mid throttle ( I know this woun't help the mixture off of idle) and I removed the accelorator pump plungers. I'm taking the mains down to 110, I'll run some BP5HS plugs. And it still smells pretty rich.

I'm starting to think that the enrichening plungers aren't sealing or the float levels are too high? Also the stock Ducato colis always gave a week spark which is never good.

I need to get the HC to 1800 ppm and the Co to 5% at idle and 2800 RPM. I was hoping someone's got the formula figured out already.

Thanks, Pete Weisskopf, Phoenix AZ
I got the nickname CustomPete while spinning wrench at a bike shop in Pittsbugh, PA 30 years ago.
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

And I thought that CA was the worst for air quality. We don't have to smog our old stuff (pre-1976) here.
George
65 250 Scrambler (2), 64 Monza, 72 250 Scrambler, 73 750 Sport (2)
74 GT (2), 87 F1, 90 750 Sport, 04 Multistrada, 06 Sport Classic

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”