83 ssd backfiring when throttle backed off

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
linblad
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

83 ssd backfiring when throttle backed off

Post by linblad »

83 ssd backfiring when throttle backed off have changed the rubber spacer/gaskets between carbies and inlets ,checked/repaired all possible leaks around exhaust connections ,seems to be more on the lh pipe.any tips appreciated.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

backfires

Post by BevHevSteve »

greetings Linblad, warm up your bike then get some carb cleaner, give a little squirt around each intake manifold. Does the idle go up or stay the same? If it increases, replace that insulater again, this time making sure to not over tighten the nuts as that can deform the manifold - check your manifold while it is apart to make sure the face is flat. I use nylock nuts and washers. I also smear just a very thin layer of yamabond on each side of the insulator. Again, only tight enough to hold everything together.

:doh: If there isn;t a problem here, and you installed new exhaust gaskets, then I'd bet your wires are gone and need replacing, the ones coming out the left side of your engine. Ducati in their infinate wisdom didn;t spec to BOSCH to provide pickups that would be in a hot oil bath so the wire sheaths disentegrate and need replacment. You will get shorts inside the case near the pickups.

Take eveything apart, replace the wires one at a time, pull the new wires up inside some vacuum hose to protect them outside the case as they go right next to the exhaust..... then seal with yamabond.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Candide
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Backfiring And The Flying Leeches

Post by Candide »

I read through all the relevant topics regarding Carb rebuilding for my '80 Darmah SD ( done! ), and had the similar issue with backfiring and blue flames leaping out of the left pipe. I was a bit leery of pulling the cases open for fear of flying leeches, or something else as sinister, zooming out. Gathering all the information and diagrams, I drained the oil, and started in on the Left Hand Case. In doing so, found two of the emerging wires fused about 2cm outside of the case behind some crunchy shielding.

After lots of swearing, I managed to remove sixteen Allen Head bolts (including the three hiding behind the starter cover). That sucker will still not let go. I think the leeches have a firm grip on it. What am I missing? The only piece I couldn't remove is a rather large Hex "plug" which was put on by Zandor The TorqueMaster.

I am a little anxious to remove this case, as I have come this far, and I have picked out what looks like half of the Shifter Return Spring out of it. Any help?

Matthew
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

COVER REMOVAL

Post by BevHevSteve »

I don;t have the diagram in front of me so can;t comment on 16 screws being all of them or not. But, assuming you do in fact have all the screws out, remember that the end of the crank rides in a bush that is in that cover. So, the cover must come straight out, you can;t wiggle-wobble it out. I have a special tool that screws in the hole adjacent to the crank end, that is an upgrade to the factory tool as it has a bearing on the end so it doesn;t mar the end of the crank. Another benefit is that it is 5 tools in 1 meaning it works for ALL Ducati singles and twins [bevel].

See CLUTCH COVER EXTRACTER and all my other bevel drive tools on the following page...

http://www.shop.bevelheaven.com/SearchR ... tegoryID=8
Candide
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Candide »

Steve,
Thanks for the encouragement and the information I need. I'll let you know how it turns out, but it is comforting to know that if I am still stuck in 2 days, I can get a tool actually designed for this job.
I have a mental shopping list, and when the $$ gods are more kind, I'll get some dress up for the old Duck.
Thanks again,
Matthew
Candide
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Carb's And Blue Flame

Post by Candide »

I have step-bysteped Steve's processes ( Thanks!! ) on my '80 Darmah, and found the wire sheaths to be in good shape. I didn't mess with the pick ups and re-wiring them, just replaced the ones which had melted together. Finally got it all back together, put in too much oil ( who says it takes 5 litres? ), fired it up and got the universal Blue Flame leaping out of the left-hand exhaust. This seems a common malady, but have decided to back up and get new exhaust gaskets, and tweak with the carbs. Is there a way to synchronise the gems by ear, or do I need to shell out for a Carb Sync?
All the best,
Matthew
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

carbie sync

Post by BevHevSteve »

You can only get it close by ear and feel. You can;t get it *right* and these bevels really need to be *right* to be at their best. I am going to be stocking the carb sync tools in about 2 weeks I should have them in stock......... if you can wait.
Candide
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Carb Synch?!

Post by Candide »

Let me know when they hit the stockroom. I'll gladly shell out some $$ to get her running *right*. What's another two weeks when it's raining?
Matthew

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”