Fuel Tap Question

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Crashfangio
Mariana

Fuel Tap Question

Post by Crashfangio »

I have recently pulled both 17mm fuel taps apart from the 750GT (OM Setti Vignola) and as suspected, the internal rubber seals are shot. No problem, you say.

What I have noticed, however, is the surface of the tap face (the bit that turns) has lost some of its chrome (or similar) plating, revealing what appears to be the brass material that the tap is made from.

My question is thus, does anyone see a problem if I lightly sand the face of the tap across a flat surface with a very fine wet'n dry?? The result would obviously be total loss of the original surface but will restore it back flat and smooth at least.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Sanding it enough to get a smooth surface should cause no problem at all. The only worry would be if you took off too much thickness and the rubber wouldn't meet the face and the petcock wouldn't seal.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Why not rechrome or replate the part? Regards,
Ian
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

.......or you could also make a brass shim in place of the chrome-plating , bringing the tap thickness back to where it should be

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”