Filters or Bell Mouths ?

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Filters or Bell Mouths ?

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi All
How many of you run Bell mouths full time ? apart from the sound why not run filters ?

Cheers
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

I run my Mille ONLY with K&N.....!!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

i RUN MALOSSI BELLMOUTHS oops, on my NCR replica. But I clean out the inside of the carbies after each ride, meaning I pull the top of the carb off, spray the slide wipe it and needle, then wipe the inside of the carb out.

I recommend runing K&N but I am a slave for fashion and prefer the look of these on my NCR........... My other bikes get the filters
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

i ran velocity stacks (bell mouths) on my 900ss purely for looks and noise.
after 90,ooo kms & 3 sets of slides ,i find my delortos are totally worn out and not tunable to a good standard
i never did any maint./cleaning-i think steve's advice is a must
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

I've run Malossi bellmouths for the past year and a half on my 77 900SS (40PHMs) (about 3K miles, I have more than one bike). I spray carb cleaner through the bellmouth on the slides after each ride, and take the slides out and wipe them down after 3 or 4 rides. Never found much grit or gunk, and the slides still work fine, not undully scored. I love the sound and looks, and unless you run in very dusty conditions, I think running stacks with the foregoing maintenance in mind, will result in acceptable longevity of the carbs. I run Cone air filters on my Darmah SSD because I put more mileage on the bike in more varied conditions. Perhaps someone could create an air filter than looks like a bellmouth, so we can look old school but be new school....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

does'nt sound too hard-fit a filter into bell mouth
although it may be harder than it sounds
engineering skills needed for this one
JAR
Mariana

Post by JAR »

I am looking to replace my SD Darmah airfilter with K&N cone filters like the http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=RC-1202 however this will not work on the LH carb because it faces out and I wish to retain an unmodified sidepanel. I do not see anything on the KN web site with 52mm flange diameter and an adequate offset or flange angle to turn the cone back behind the sidepanel. Will the original rubber hose be sufficiently rigid to support a K&N, or how have you got around this issue or is an alternative inlet manifold available ?

Thanks
Andy
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

JAR wrote:Will the original rubber hose be sufficiently rigid to support a K&N, or how have you got around this issue or is an alternative inlet manifold available ?

Thanks
Andy
Yes it will I have mine like that and I have never had the hose come off the carby end after several 1000k's of riding , I used pod filters that suited a Kawasaki cant remember what model but it works well

Cheers Marty
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

air filters

Post by Lumpy »

I run UNI pods on my SS. They were about half the price of the K&N`s, made of a nice fine foam with a spiffy stainless steel cap on the end. I just squeeze a bit of engine oil on them to moisten them up and they work a treat. But yeah, those velosity stacks and bell mouths look the buisness.

I had a TT500 Yammy many years ago with a pod filter that had ripped away from the rubber base that holds onto the carb. The foam was hanging on by a small strip at the top, the engine suction helped hold it in place but at idle it would flap up and down due to the cam overlap. I was living in NW Australia at the time and rode it to work through the mulga daily. To say I thrashed the living daylights out of this thing in very harsh dusty conditions was an understatment of monumental proportions. The carb throat was continually filthy but I did`nt really care as it was a pig bike anyway, known in town as the Pigaha.
Years down the track I took the head off for an unrelated problem and was very surprised that the bore was pristine. A quick hone and back she went, piston, rings and all. Only the head gasket changed. Carb stayed on her for years to come also.
JAR
Mariana

Post by JAR »

Thanks !
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

On my Darmah SSD I run K&N power cones, and on the rear carb I use the stock rubber elbow intake. I put a very short plastic dellorto bellmouth (really just a lip that screws on) and put the intake over this, then secured it with a stainless hose clamp. I then simply inserted the power cone into the other end and fixed it with a clamp, and this has worked fine. Kinda weird seeing a 90 degree intake rubber elbow sticking out from the carb with a power cone on the end, but hey, it sits behind a sidecover.....
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
Angry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Angry »

[quote="JAR"]I am looking to replace my SD Darmah airfilter.

I have Sd Darmah running 32mm Dels and used Malossi pod filter straight onto carb did not have to leave my side cover of. Different if you are running bigger carbs wont fit beneath side cover.

Regards
Andrew
78 Darmah
750S
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by 750S »

I have a service note from Tony Hatton , December 1977 "Must be run without Air Cleaners - fit new carb venturi's"
'74 Sport '76 R90S

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”