Have my PHF 30s apart and soaking in Gunk carb cleaner cans

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
motomerle
Mariana

Have my PHF 30s apart and soaking in Gunk carb cleaner cans

Post by motomerle »

Wow, it's $25/can on line and I just bought two cans for under $20 at Advance Auto!! It comes with a smal parts strainer but I didn't end up using it as the carbs were too big to fit with it and I wanted to keep each in it's own can complete.
They were really laquered up badly and the needles were unrecognizable.

It took them apart except for the manifolds which I was unable to separate with the clamps removed. The cleaner said no rubber or plastic and I hope I haven't eaten the sleeves up but I wasn't going to try chiseling on the slots in the carb body to get the manifolds off.
If I have, are they even available somewhere? I'm planning to re-assemble then tomorrow after burshing and another dip and cleaning with water and compressed air.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

carb bits

Post by BevHevSteve »

:vroom: yes the sleeves are available, I have a couple in stock. They really should come out when you dip the carbs....... Anyways to seperate stuborn manifolds from carb bodies, just spray with carb cleaner and twist the carb being careful not to wiggle wobble them as that could crack the difficult [expen$ive] to replace carb body
Last edited by BevHevSteve on Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
motomerle
Mariana

Post by motomerle »

It turns out that I found one of the mismatched things inside the carbs, One had the proper pt #s 49 and 50(from the diagram) a thingn brass washer and an O ring and the other had a fiber washer.
My brother had a guy he knew who proclaimed to be a Ducati expert rebuild the carbs a couple of years ago in anticipation of me coming back after a couple of years Ex pat work so I could ride it.

Then a year and a half of NYS DMV nightmare after I couldn't find the title but they could pull up 16 consecutive registrations and couldn't register it. I was just about to go the pay $75 and go the Alabama route and althoug I was finally able to register it last year in min November, the ttile only got here last week. NYS requires a title to register a motor vehicle that hasn't been registered in three consecutive years. I said, No Problem, I'll get a duplicate title"(the last time I remember having my hand on mine was the initial registration in 1979) and that's when it really got Catch 22 and the clerk said "well you can't do that because we now purge al titles after three years of a motor vehicle not being registered".

He didn't do anything that I saw but maybe take it apart and spray carb cleaner in it, mashed the O-ring to the choke support and re-tighten the screw with it on crooked which made the lever bind. I rode it for a week on dealer's plates and it ran fine, but it had before he'd touched it also. He also took the signal lights off(told my brother they were a Jap add on as my year('74) didn't have them or need them. When I took the pump cover off, the top screw on one carb was just finger tight and I noticed when sifting the screen that there were only two washers. I rinsed and blew the parts today with compressed air and went to blow the water out of the casting and noticed a hole appear where the top screw must have botomed out without a washer and bottomed on the inside of the carb. It's oprobably not going to be a vacum problem because the slide will never go that high with it in the carb?(I hope).

Called my brother tonight and told him if he arranging his social agenda for the Summer, he may not want to book us at the same event because if I come across the guy in the same zip code, I'm just going to start wailing on him until I've beat the $300 he charged out of his lying donkey and the rest for the damage he did.

Here's my mixture screws. I know which carb they came out of but I don't remember which had the seal and O ring and which ahd the fiber washer but I'd guess the pitted one.

This is the mystery screw next to the mixture screw for scale. It's not one of the banjo screws because I have those accounted for? It's not past my buddy who's place Im working at to throw an extra one in a let me stew for a day for a yuk.

This is one carb's parts after soak before tooth brushing and rinsing.

I hadn't realized that the pump jet valve and pv holder were two separate pieces and soaked them together as they came out of both carbs.
After rinsing and drying. Not real shiny but it was the color of a brown beer bottle with laquer.

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”