Mikuni on Ducati 250

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
gtrench
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Mikuni on Ducati 250

Post by gtrench »

Hi,
I'm building a 250 narrowcase roadracer using a 5-spd scrambler motor. Does anyone have any tips for setting up a Mikuni? What size should I use? Should I just buy a "pre-jetted" one from Sudco-Mikuni? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!
-Gabe
Nick
Diana

Post by Nick »

The Sudco route would certainly be a good start and would involve the least hassle, although it will be rather expensive. A much cheaper alternative would be to go to a swap meet/jumble and find a good used carbie. The same size as stock will probably be about right, but you could go 1 or 2mm larger. If you do find a used carb, strip it completely, soak it in laquer thinner for 30 min. or so then blow all passageways out with compressed air. A piece of radiator hose between the stock manifold and the new/used carb will do nicely. (I found a nice rubber joining piece at the local plumbing store--fits manifold and carb perfectly and cost all of $2. If the used carb came off a four strock with similar engine capacity, it might be jetted quite close as it is (or a single carb off a four cylinder 1,000cc, etc.)

As you may have noticed, the gearing on the Scrambler is much lower than on the road models, so low that it is really unsuitable for street riding. My advice would be to go two teeth larger on the countershaft sprocket.

Have fun.
From probably the only person in the world who rides a Ducati 350 Sebring for daily transportation.

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”