Overflowing Carb

Post your 'Carburettor & Fuel System' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Overflowing Carb

Post by wdietz186 »

It's unlikely the grit came in through the air filters, most likely it's from the tank. Very fine rust particles can make their way through the carb screens and will collect in the float bowls. The thick oily stuff is the remnants of whatever fuel was in it 10 or so years ago. Sounds like it is time for a tank cleaning. Aren't old Ducatis fun?
killfile
Mariana

Post by killfile »

The gas was freely flowing when I got it, and previous owner said he had been riding it pretty consistently... but yes, I think you are right, time to look into the tank a bit more.

On a worse note, I took the wheels off this morning for new tires and found that the front and back bearings where seized... but I guess this is the wrong part of the forum to talk about that. Hoping it back together to leave for my ride tomorrow. Fun times!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

We have correct SKF wheel bearings in stock if you dont find them today locally.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
killfile
Mariana

Post by killfile »

Thanks, Steve! I knew that was the case, but I have a local bearing shop here that I love an excuse to go to. I'll post up in the other section about my experience... it was far from ideal, but everything is buttoned back up now and I'll be on the road after I dig out torque specs from the manual.
killfile
Mariana

Post by killfile »

Alright, it's been a while since I posted.
Bike is running decently, but I'm losing a cylinder on occasion. Ordering a Sachse ignition and will seek assistance if I can't get the carbs balanced perfectly after that.
Thanks again for all the help.

Here is a pic of the bike on the 49 Mile Ride in San Francisco in October:
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The ignition will transform the machine, idle,smooth accel, you'll think you bought a new bike!

Return to “Carburettor & Fuel System Shop”