My new 75 860 GT Project

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
emptyg5000
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

My new 75 860 GT Project

Post by emptyg5000 »

Got it last week. Plans are to continue its transformation into an 860 Sport by adding a new tank, etc..

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

thumper2146
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

nice

Post by thumper2146 »

how far have you gotten on the restoration?
James Manske
75 860
07 klr 650
74 ford truck
emptyg5000
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Slowly...

Post by emptyg5000 »

but compared to the previous pics, it looks like I've come along way. I'll post some newer ones.
cshannon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by cshannon »

Hi Empty,

Congratulations on your new bike. Very exciting time!

My only advice, for what it's worth, would be - ride it for a while, maybe a year before you do too much to it at all. Find out what you can about the bike and read everything you can on the marque. If you're not already a member, join Bevelheads mailing list. Between there and here, there are lots of owners willing to help you out.

Once you've got the riding thing out of your system, I'd consider pulling the thing right down and rebuilding it so that you know that it's going to be solid for a long time to come. It'll also look better too!

If you decide to go down this path, buy an inexpensive floor-standing blast cabinet and a polishing wheel. You'll save yourself heaps and get loads of satisfaction as well.

Electrics would be the other area to pay special attention to. There was a guy on here that had an 860 (I think ?) that he had modified the ignition by utilising an ST2 stator, giving him considerable HP gains. Wiring harnesses are available, possibly via Steve at BevelHeaven or you could make your own.

I could go on and on but their are many more qualified than myself to comment on this subject. If you want advice, keep posting progress reports and photos and people will comment.

Good luck,

Chris
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I had one of these for years. They are good, solid, greatly underrated machines. The best modification I made was to switch to a lower restriction exhaust, in my case a 2-into-1 that I purchased in England.

It greatly increased power, flexibility and made it much easier to start. The 860s were notorious for hard starting.

Yours looks like a good potential project, lots of the stock stuff is still on it. I notice the gearshift lever has been moved to the right side which greatly improves shifting feel.

A friend had an electric start 860 GT but the starter was marginal and would barely turn the motor over. I would ditch the starter and heavy battery and save lots of weight. By the look of the kick starter position, though, the motor may have to come apart to move it into a more upright position.

These bikes did have electrical issues, the voltage regulators didn't last long, the alternators had a low output and the handlebar controls were rubbish. I replaced mine with Suzuki items. Perhaps these things have been changed over the years but I would give the electrical system a good going over. Contrary to popular opinion, I never had problems with the stock ignition system.

Bruce Martin
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

still got the beast-

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”