A bevel twin and a 4 cylinder worth riding

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
machten
MHR / S2

A bevel twin and a 4 cylinder worth riding

Post by machten »

Went for a ride with a friend of mine on the weekend. I took my GT and he took his MV 750s. We swapped bikes during the ride so I finally got to ride one these babies. Totally different engine characterisics to a twin, obviously, which took a bit of getting used to (I don't think I've ridden a 4 cylinder bike for 30 years!), wonderful handling and a sweet, sweet sound.

Kev

Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Kev,
Thanks for the photo. I just put the finishing touches to a 1972 MV 750 resto yesterday and only rode it for the first time a month ago. I am after some parts, so do you know if the owner has any spares?
Ian
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hi Ian,

You lucky boy!

I'll be seeing him tonight, so I'll ask him. This one is completely unrestored and original other than the factory big bore kit, so whilst he's got the original barrels and carbs, I don't think he has much else, but I'll check.

Kev
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

So what is it like to ride? How does it compare to your GT? Details please!

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I am after some parts, so do you know if the owner has any spares?
Ian, the short answer is "no" for this bike. He has sourced MV parts for other MVs he has through...

http://www.mvownersclub.co.uk/ (which you maybe already know about)
So what is it like to ride? How does it compare to your GT? Details please!

Bruce, that's a bit more difficult to answer. It was only a short ride, so i had about 20 minutes on it. I didn't ask some sensible questions beforehand like h.m. RPM before gearchage etc, and tacho has no red line indicator. (the owner subsequently told me is was good for 9000 RPM easy. I took it up to about 6500 and there was clearly plenty more to come. I'm no expert pilot and I spent most of my time feeling my way around it rather than riding it hard, but here goes....

The torque seemed very strong over the rev range 3000 to 6500, it would pull fine from low down, but better from 4800 upwards. The most noticable difference from the GT is the quickness of steering. That shorter wheelbase makes quite a difference. Given the riding position, it was like riding a short 750 Sport. The front and rear suspension was very good for the era. We were riding on some bumpy roads and it tracked perfectly round the bends even with a shorter wheelbase. It handled the bumps better than my 750 Sport does, but that might be poor setup on my part.

Response to the throttle was more immediate that the GT, which likes to build up a bit.

The front brake was pretty ineffective on this one, but that's because it needs some maintenance. According to the owner, on other bikes of his that have the Grimeca, he reckons they are at least as good as as any disc brake of the time.

The exhaust note is great as it winds up, but it won't convert me from the sound of duc contis!

And that seat....well like or loath the colour (I like it) that is THE most comfortable sports bike seat I've ever sat in. I could ride that bike all day.

Can't wait for my next ride on it!

Kev
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

... and it would be equally interesting to hear the thoughts of the MV owner on riding the Duc, although perhaps you should take your Sport next time Kev and let him try that.

There is obviously a lot of mutual trust. I would find it v-e-r-y difficult to let someone ride my MV Agusta or Sport if I was fortunate enough to own either. Even the GT would be a big ask!

Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

... and it would be equally interesting to hear the thoughts of the MV owner on riding the Duc, although perhaps you should take your Sport next time Kev and let him try that.

There is obviously a lot of mutual trust. I would find it v-e-r-y difficult to let someone ride my MV Agusta or Sport if I was fortunate enough to own either. Even the GT would be a big ask!
I know the owner well. There's five of us long time bevel owners that meet most Tuesday nights at one or other's garages to work on them. One used to have his own Ducati mechanics shop, which is kind of handy :-D . Of course, we're never short of something to do!

The owner of the MV has a very nice desmo'ed 73 Sport of his own. I should ask him to write something up! His is the middle one of the three here...

Kev
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

The ride impressions coincide with my recent experience on my MV. I finished restoring it a couple of days ago, but rode it for the first time about a month ago. I fitted TT100s and it steered beautifully and the suspension is better than my SS but that is possibly due to the fact that the MV's suspension is fresh. It had more power than I expected and was physically small when on the bike.
Kev, I did know about the club but they didn't have what I was after. Thanks anyway.
Ian
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

The owner of the MV has a very nice desmo'ed 73 Sport of his own.
Well, that settles it: he's a total bast**d then. `-* And, bloody hell, so is Macdesmo - an MV AND and SS? I'm starting to feel positively deprived.

Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Well, that settles it: he's a total bast**d then.
I'd be right in there agreeing with ya, Steve, except for the fact that he has some other Italian exotica that I'm yet to ride, so I'll keep my powder dry for the moment! :lol:

One example...

Kev
chas b
Mariana

Post by chas b »

I too have had the opportunity to ride an MV four. I used to work with a guy that ran Verghera Engineering. We went on a ride-out to Epping ( well known meet-up place for bikers) one Sunday. On the journey back we swapped bikes. He road my breathed-on SS, his MV was 860 I think with ss carbs and other goodies. The frame was not standard but not Magni, had been raced in Austria by the previous owner.
The handling was very forgiving,I lost count of the number of times I stomped on the gear lever going into bends,I kept thinking it was the brake. I just could not get used to r/h gearchange. Despite this ( and being shaft drive) the bike would step out a bit but remain composed.
I have to say though, the engine was not so impressive,felt unwilling to rev and in terms of feel/performance not so different to a Jap four.
I would have to say that the SS is a far more enjoyable bike and of course you can have two for the price of one MV!

Regards,

Chas.

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”