Barn find, I am no longer Duc less!

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
Ducless
Mariana

Barn find, I am no longer Duc less!

Post by Ducless »

Just picked up a 78 Darmah that has not been on the road since 1994. Only has 11k miles on it. I bought it from the original owner. Did Ducati's in 78 use the engine numbers as the VIN? I checked the title and it does not use the frame number, only the engine number. The engine numbers matched and the owner is a good guy, so I am not worried, just a little curious.

It has a Syd's MHR fiberglass fairing kit. Not sure if I am going to keep it and repaint the fairing or put back to stock. Is there any sort of market for a period correct (the kit is from 1980) aftermarket fairing?

It also has the requisite 40mm delorto's and conti's. Should be pretty cool by the time I am done.
Last edited by Ducless on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Barn find, I am no longer Duc less!

Post by Craig in France »

Good find! Looks pretty complete. :-D Not sure about that fairing and the paint job, tho' :shock: - but I guess "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" :). I'd be surprised if it was worth much - probably more curiosity value than financial.

I don't know how VINs and titles work in the States. All I can say is that the format for VINs wasn't standardised until 1981.

Enjoy the bike! Let's hope there isn't too much corrosion in the motor, having been stood that long ...

And those look like Campagnola wheels - ?

Ciao

Craig
Ducless
Mariana

Post by Ducless »

yes they are 4 bolt campagnolos. from initial external inspection, they look pretty good. no white powder, no cracks, and no blemishes in the paint. as far as the paint...... i didnt buy it because of the paint, more like in spite of the paint. a new paint job is in order. but you have to remember, back in 1980 that paint job might have been cool. as far as the engine goes, it kicked over with no problems. i will probably take the heads off for an inspection though.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Great find! That fairing is hideous! Looks like you are a paint job away from a very nice bike. Did you get it for a good price?
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

nice find. I like the early MHR ferring on the Darmah, with a tastefull new paint job it will be sweet. I used to have a 78 Darmah with the campy wheels as well.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Ducless wrote:As far as the paint...... i didnt buy it because of the paint, more like in spite of the paint.
:-D
Ducless wrote: ... but you have to remember, back in 1980 that paint job might have been cool.

Yeh - I seem to remember there being a rash of 'Tri-colore' paint jobs at the time. I blame Steve Wynne ... :)
Ducless wrote: ...as far as the engine goes, it kicked over with no problems. i will probably take the heads off for an inspection though.
I was thinking more of rust in bearings. Not a lot you can do really, short of a full strip down :shock: . Me, I'd probably leave the heads alone, run it and just change the oil ... lots.

(Would be worth doing a compression test - the front piston can rust in the bore on bikes that have been left standing.)

Ciao

Craig
Ducless
Mariana

Post by Ducless »

i might have come up with a color/graphics scheme. i was laying awake in bed, (am i the only one who lays awake thinking about bikes?) and thought it would look good to keep the fairing but do a scheme like the mid 90's 900ss models. blood red, gold graphics to match the wheels and instead of saying 900ss, it will simply say 900SD. has this been done before?

ok, time to make the doughnuts.
later,
dave
Craig in France
Paso 906

Dave!!! Stop! What, yet ANOTHER Red Ducrappi! :shock: :-D
Ducless
Mariana

Post by Ducless »

yeah i know every ducati out there is red, but for one very good reason. they all look GREAT in red.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Craig in France wrote:Dave!!! Stop! What, yet ANOTHER Red Ducrappi! :shock: :-D
C'mon Craig.......... play nice. ;)

Red, or pink and purple polka dots...... whatever you want, its YOUR bike. Have fun with it
DaleMclean
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DaleMclean »

nice find.

heres a suggestion for paintwork ;)

the photo may be 15yrs old but she still looks the same
I survived :-)
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

NICE
Craig in France
Paso 906

BevHevSteve wrote: C'mon Craig.......... play nice. ;)
Yeh, but I also know that you know what I mean, Steve ... :-D

Ciao

Craig
Ducless
Mariana

Post by Ducless »

Craig, I bet you would hate to see another one of those restored Vincent's painted black huh?
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Hell,Everybody has a black one too! My Darmah was painted Elf/French blue when I got it.Everything was blue! The tank,ducktail,frame,fork legs,calipers,and wheels. A 70's thing I guess. My first thought was to strip it and paint it black or red but a case or two of beer later the blue kinda grew on me. I repainted the wheels ,forks,and calipers and I think it looks rather nice and so do most people that see it.It is a lot less jarring to the traditionalists than my wifes Barbie pink Norton Commando[that sends some Norton types apoplectic when they see it].

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”